Senior Software Engineer, Web App PerformanceSan FranciscoApply now
Core Performance is a horizontal team that aims to make the Asana web application fast for our customers. The team both directly contributes to, and empowers other Asana engineers in, a common mission to make everything we build as fast and efficient as possible. We leverage cutting-edge web performance technologies and methodologies and shape them to work within Asana’s unique infrastructure. Projects range from code splitting to improve our page load performance), service worker for instant application startup, data caching and prefetching strategy, critical customer performance investigations, and building performance monitoring frameworks for tighter SLA around product features.
This role is based in our San Francisco office with an office-centric hybrid schedule. Along with most Asanas, you’ll work from this office in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Most Asanas have the option to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you're interviewing for this role, your Talent Acquisition Partner will share more about the in-office requirements.
What you’ll achieve
- You’ll lead, design and execute on technical initiatives in the frontend infrastructure space to make Asana webapp dramatically faster.
- You’ll be able to to roll up your sleeves and directly tackle gnarly, highly impactful and visible performance investigations that could span the entire tech stack.
- You’ll be early to the party to Asana’s long term performance effort, both as a challenge to leverage greenfield opportunities to do impactful work and as a way to influence how performance operates at the company level.
- You’ll be one of the company’s experts on frontend infrastructure, and you’ll mentor others in this space.
- You’ll have a direct impact on the happiness and efficiency of our customers, both internal co-workers and external end users.
- 5+ years of experience full time professional software development experience, or equivalent, in working in a large codebase.
- 3+ years experience in modern frontend web technologies, with experience driving initiatives around frontend infrastructure (“backend of the frontend”, such as data fetching patterns, routing, build system).
- Experience leading challenging technical projects. You excel at diving into and navigating complex code and systems that are unfamiliar to you, and driving changes that need to be done.
- Communicate clearly to technical and non-technical audiences and stakeholders.
- Experience working on or are passionate about web performance optimization.
At Asana, we're committed to building teams that include a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, as this is critical to helping us achieve our mission. If you're interested in this role and don't meet every listed requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $202,000 - $316,000. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
We strive to provide equitable and competitive benefits packages that support our employees worldwide and include:
- Mental health, wellness & fitness benefits
- Career coaching & support
- Inclusive family building benefits
- Long-term savings or retirement plans
- In-office culinary options to cater to your dietary preferences
These are just some of the benefits we offer, and benefits may vary based on role, country, and local regulations. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also comply with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws in other locations.
By clicking "Submit Application," you acknowledge and agree to Asana's Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice.