Tips for planning your editorial calendar with our template
Producing and publishing high-quality content that audiences want to consume is challenging enough. Add multiple formats and channels to the mix, and it gets even tougher to keep production on track and deliver great content on time. This is where an editorial calendar can help. An editorial calendar (also known as a content calendar) is a schedule of all the blog posts, articles, or videos you’re producing and it lays out each step of the process, from idea to publication.
To create your own editorial calendar with our template, follow these tips:
- Manage content in one place. Add every piece of content you’re producing to your editorial calendar project so you won’t have to dig through emails, spreadsheets, or docs to know what’s going out when and on what channel.
- Break down your publication process. Assign tasks for all the steps needed to produce a piece of content—draft, edit, approve, publish—and set deadlines for each to create a workback schedule that you can visualize on a calendar.
- Make it easy to see content status. When you’re creating a high volume of content, it’s hard to know the status of every single piece. Track content through every production stage so you can see where everything stands.
- Keep communications and content together. Needs and timing can shift as you’re creating content. Make sure your team has clarity on the latest changes by sharing feedback where work is being done.
Examples of calendars you can create with the Asana editorial calendar template
- Content calendars
- Blog calendars
- Content strategy calendars
- Video production calendars
- Marketing calendars
- Content planning calendars
- Social media content calendars
New to editorial calendars in Asana?
All of your questions, answered:
- What is an editorial calendar? An editorial calendar is a record of how, when, and where you plan on publishing upcoming content. Typically, editorial calendars track upcoming pieces, planned promotions, and social media posts. To make your editorial calendar as effective as possible, make sure you’re tracking all of your content production in one place, so your entire team has visibility into the work.
- How can I create an editorial calendar? Use our free editorial calendar templateto create an easy-to-use calendar without the headache of setting up. The editorial calendar template is your team’s central source of truth, so your entire team has clarity on what’s being published when. With custom fields, you can also track the content type and stage, who is the directly responsible individual, when it’s being published, and more.
- How should I plan my editorial calendar? To plan an effective editorial calendar, make sure you’re tracking all of your work in the same place. Clarify what type of content you’re creating, when it will be finished, when the content should be live, and what the production process should look like. Use your editorial calendar to keep your team on the same page, move publication dates if needed, and track all of the work that’s being done.
With our editorial calendar template, you and your team are always on the same page about every piece of content you’re producing. Never lose a blog, misplace an Instagram post, or let a video slip through the cracks. Get started with our editorial calendar template today.