Senior Software Engineer, InfrastructureSan FranciscoApply now
We’re looking for an experienced back-end engineer to solve challenging scaling problems with the distributed systems running Asana’s in-house web framework and developer-facing API. You will help us ensure high availability and performance as we support higher throughput from ever-larger customers. The LunaServer Infrastructure team owns and supports the production services that run Asana’s business logic and asynchronous task queue. As a senior member of the team, you will help us anticipate scaling challenges and lead the development of large projects to solve those problems. We work closely with other teams in the core infrastructure area to build and retain customer trust in Asana as the platform for their critical workflows.
This role is based in our San Francisco office with an office-centric hybrid schedule. Along with most Asanas, you’ll work from this office in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Most Asanas have the option to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you're interviewing for this role, your Talent Acquisition Partner will share more about the in-office requirements.
What you’ll achieve
- Design and implement reliable, performant, and scalable distributed systems backing Asana’s webservers and Developer API
- Improve and evolve how we schedule, run, and manage our asynchronous task queue
- Lead large projects with other backend engineers through all stages of development, from design and implementation to deployment and iteration
- Mentor other engineers on a team of 6-8 on topics such as system design principles
- Collaborate closely with other infrastructure teams at Asana to define how user data in the Work Graph is accessed
- Support framework and product engineers to build new product functionality at scale, quickly
- Ensure high customer trust by participating in an on-call rotation for our team’s services
- 4+ years of engineering experience building and operating reliable backend services
- Have a passion for mentoring other engineers to help them create and maintain production-quality infrastructure
- Skilled at communicating technical concepts and constraints to cross-functional partners in product and sale
- Familiar with service and container orchestration technologies like Terraform and Kubernetes
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $202,000 - $316,000. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
We strive to provide equitable and competitive benefits packages that support our employees worldwide and include:
- Mental health, wellness & fitness benefits
- Career coaching & support
- Inclusive family building benefits
- Long-term savings or retirement plans
- In-office culinary options to cater to your dietary preferences
These are just some of the benefits we offer, and benefits may vary based on role, country, and local regulations. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
By clicking "Submit Application," you acknowledge and agree to Asana's Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice.