Commercial Counsel, RevenueSan FranciscoApply now
You will be a part of our global legal team that works cross-functionally to help achieve Asana’s ambitious mission of enabling the world’s teams to work together effortlessly. We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group responsible for supporting many teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while likewise protecting Asana’s core values and interests. We run ideas past each other, we problem-solve together, we partner with other groups to navigate them through challenging issues, and we’re growing our team.
Specifically, we’re looking for a San Francisco-based Commercial Counsel to join our commercial legal team. In this role you’ll work closely with individuals across the organization in support of various legal-related matters, with a primary focus on supporting the sales team. This is a great opportunity to join a mission-driven company and offers exposure to a wide variety of issues with the opportunity for career development and growth.
This role is based in our San Francisco office with an office-centric hybrid schedule. Along with most Asanas, you’ll work from this office in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Most Asanas have the option to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you're interviewing for this role, your Talent Acquisition Partner will share more about the in-office requirements.
What you’ll achieve
- Strategically partner with our North American sales team on enterprise-level SaaS engagements to drive revenue, primarily supporting our Mid-Market, Seed-to-Land, and certain Enterprise West sales teams
- Support various areas of the business by reviewing, drafting, and negotiating commercial and customer-facing agreements including Subscriber Terms, Data Processing Addendums, and Order Forms, and advising on a variety of other customer-driven requests
- Provide timely and practical legal advice, taking into account the relevant legal issues and risks, agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- Interface directly with the sales teams to provide ongoing sales enablement training, including guidance on commonly requested revisions and non-standard terms and structures, and responses to general contract questions
- Apply original, innovative thinking to continuously improve processes and systems and manage change to better service customer needs, including developing scalable contracting frameworks, playbooks, and standards to support a business in high-growth mode
- Support and manage a variety of ad hoc projects with the team as they arise
- Stay abreast of emerging laws, regulations, and judicial decisions relevant to our business (including applicable competition and data protection laws), conduct thorough research and analysis to understand the implications and potential impact of these developments
- 3+ years experience of working in-house on software licencing transactions, preferably at a SaaS technology company
- Law degree from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in the U.S.
- Experience supporting a sales organization with commercial work in multiple U.S. markets
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess relevant/material risks quickly and communicate those risks to business partners with a focus on making the complicated understandable
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively and comfortably collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience working cross-functionally with sales, finance, revenue accounting, and deal desk teams
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented with a passion for closing deals while protecting Asana’s values and business interests
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $172,000-210,000. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
We strive to provide equitable and competitive benefits packages that support our employees worldwide and include:
- Mental health, wellness & fitness benefits
- Career coaching & support
- Inclusive family building benefits
- Long-term savings or retirement plans
- In-office culinary options to cater to your dietary preferences
These are just some of the benefits we offer, and benefits may vary based on role, country, and local regulations. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
By clicking "Submit Application," you acknowledge and agree to Asana's Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice.