Commercial CounselSan FranciscoApply now
Our legal team works cross-functionally to help achieve Asana’s ambitious mission of enabling all teams to work together effortlessly. We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group responsible for supporting all teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while likewise protecting Asana’s core values and interests. We run ideas past each other, we problem-solve together, we partner with other groups to navigate them through challenging issues, and we’re growing our team.
Specifically, we’re looking for a commercial counsel to join our commercial legal team. Based out of San Francisco, this role requires someone skilled at managing complex inbound and outbound commercial transactions, specifically including prior experience negotiating enterprise-level SaaS agreements. In addition to being a key partner to the sales team, you will also work closely with other stakeholders around the company in drafting and negotiating a wide variety of agreements. Above all, you will bring a business-oriented, pragmatic mindset to solving problems while delivering legal advice without the legalese. This is a great opportunity to help scale the existing commercial legal team in a mission-driven company and offers exposure to a wide variety of issues. This role reports to Asana’s Manager, Commercial Counsel.
What you’ll achieve
- Working closely with our global sales team to drive revenue as a strategic business partner on enterprise-level SaaS engagements
- Supporting all areas of the business by drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements
- Implementing scalable contracting frameworks and standards to support a business in high growth mode
- Supporting the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes
- Wearing multiple hats depending on the day by providing general legal advice and counsel to our global team
- Advising business stakeholders, taking into account the relevant legal issues and risks, agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- At least 4 years experience of working in-house and/or at a law firm counseling companies on technology transactions (in-house experience at a SaaS technology company a plus)
- JD from an accredited law school and U.S.-qualified (California bar membership or California registered in-house counsel preferred)
- Exposure to international commercial contracting issues, particularly in EMEA, APAC, and ANZ, and experience with navigating data privacy issues in a commercial context a strong plus
- Prior work standing up frameworks and standards for inbound commercial arrangements to ensure consistency in how Asana procures software and services
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess relevant/material risks quickly and to communicate those risks to business partners in non-legal speak
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience working cross-functionally and preferably with sales, finance and marketing teams
- Great communicator that is comfortable liaising with multiple teams to solve problems
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented with a passion for closing deals while protecting Asana’s values and business interests
At Asana, you’ll do meaningful, purpose-driven work. We’re not just building a product that helps people be more productive—we’re helping teams and organizations reach their goals together. For the past six years, we've been recognized as an award-winning workplace by Fortune and Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Inc. Magazine. Our inclusive culture is intentionally built to enable our teams to be creative and make an impact. With offices all over the world, we’re excited to get back to in-person collaboration along with a hybrid schedule for balance and flexibility in life and work. We’re looking for passionate individuals to join us on our journey. Come do great things with us.