Software Engineer, Area Tech Lead, FrameworksSan FranciscoApply now
We are looking for a Senior Staff Software Engineer (Area Tech Lead) to take on a key technical leadership role for a group of teams focused on improving developer velocity across Asana product engineering. These teams’ products span across the stack: from Asana’s core backend and web frameworks, core performance, to reusable UI components. Some of the teams’ current work include allowing shared business logic between client and server, driving company-wide Accessibility effort, building a roadmap to scale our monolithic codebase, and shifting to leverage industry-wide technologies like GraphQL.
What you’ll achieve
- Provide technical leadership for 6+ engineering teams, all focused towards improving velocity for Asana product engineers
- Build and align on the vision and roadmap for Asana’s developer frameworks for years to come
- Act as a technical partner to an Engineering Director and collaborate on – strategic engineering planning, roadmap sequencing, and prioritizing technical investments
- Partner with Product Management, Design, and Engineering leadership to define area level roadmaps and strategy
- Collaborate with front-line Engineering Managers on creating growth opportunities for their reports, solutions to address technical skill gaps, and providing technical feedback on their reports
- Act as a resource for team-level tech leads on topics like longer-term technical planning, design & architecture, and prioritizing tech debt
- 7+ years of experience working as a technical contributor in large-scale products
- 3+ years of experience working on developer productivity projects or initiatives.
- 2+ years of experience as a technical leader for multiple engineering teams.
- Experience at owning and delegating technical design decisions with broad impact across the organization. Skilled at working cross-team with technical and product stakeholders to make tradeoffs, align on long-term plans, and drive execution of cross-team initiatives.
- Excited to work in a unique problem space that involves complex technical decisions with cross-cutting impact
- Passionate about coaching and mentoring engineers of all experience levels
- Deep care for fostering collaboration and psychological safety among team members
- Excited to be a part of an inclusive culture where everyone brings the aspects of themselves to the workplace that they need to thrive
- Ability to debug off-track teams or projects when necessary, and partnering with teams to get back on track
At Asana, you’ll do meaningful, purpose-driven work. We’re not just building a product that helps people be more productive—we’re helping teams and organizations reach their goals together. For the past six years, we've been recognized as an award-winning workplace by Fortune and Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Inc. Magazine. Our inclusive culture is intentionally built to enable our teams to be creative and make an impact. With offices all over the world, we’re excited to get back to in-person collaboration along with a hybrid schedule for balance and flexibility in life and work. We’re looking for passionate individuals to join us on our journey. Come do great things with us.