Engineering Manager, Distributed Data ServicesSan Francisco
We are looking for an engineering manager that is passionate about helping their team members contribute more and develop not just as engineers, but also as human beings. You will focus on developing your team through compassionate leadership and nurturing a growth mindset. You are as enthusiastic about building your team through mentoring, coaching, and hiring as you are about the challenging technical problems that your team will solve.
The Distributed Data Services team (a.k.a LunaDb internally) builds, maintains, and scales Asana’s homegrown distributed query backend and distributed caching systems. These systems are responsible for the vast majority of the data that is being served by the Asana application and are used by product engineers to quickly develop product features on top of Asana’s rich work graph in a performant and reliable way. The team’s charter includes the reliability and reactivity components of the data serving layer of Asana, powering our web application, mobile apps, and API. Each day, we combine industry best practices and innovation to support Asana and solve unique problems in the distributed systems that serve our customer's data.
In this role, you will lead and mentor a world-class team of engineers in building software systems to manage Asana’s data serving infrastructure, deploying and operating our distributed systems, and solving scaling challenges unique to our problem space.
What You’ll Achieve
- Manage the distributed data services team with 5 engineers (and its future growth), including the technical lead
- Partner with the PM and cross-functional stakeholders to guide the articulation and execution of the strategic roadmap of the team, and its alignment with the vision of core infrastructure and Asana
- Help ensure that the data service infrastructure maintains high availability; help the team conduct root cause analyses and post mortems for system failures
- Help the team identify single points of failure and future risks, and proactively mitigate them; evolve our backend architecture to support Asana’s fast growth
- Recruit for and grow the team
- Define how the team evolves and interacts with the rest of Asana
- Prior experience building and operating infrastructure and distributed systems at scale; (desirable) experience with cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS)
- 1+ years of engineering management experience with relevant experience in planning/helping career progression and performance management of reports
- The rare mix of intelligence, charisma, integrity, and technical skills that allow you to rapidly earn the trust of a technically astute team
- Experience collaborating with other engineering teams, PMs, and cross-functional partners on alignment and project execution
- Focus on maximizing impact, for yourself and your team
- Ability to provide valuable input to any technical or product discussion
- Oriented around the multi-year consequences of your decisions
Asana enables millions of teams around the world to achieve their goals together, from small projects to strategic initiatives. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace by Fortune, Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Built In for our inclusive culture that drives business results. After spending more than two years physically distanced, we're safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, adding more flexibility to our office-centric hybrid culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.