Staff Engineer, Developer Platform & APIs Group Tech LeadSan FranciscoApply now
With Asana’s Developer Platform, external developers are given the power and flexibility to extend Asana's functionality for their own use cases, or in creative ways that Asana doesn't yet provide. In turn, this rich ecosystem of apps, integrations, and scripts enables Asana to fully connect with where work actually happens – no matter how big or small the team, and no matter which tools or workflows they use.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer (Area Tech Lead) to take on a key technical leadership role over the group of teams focused on making it effortless for external developers to customize Asana. As an Area Tech Lead, you’ll provide technical leadership and mentorship to a group of full stack engineering teams, while working closely with your Area Engineering Lead and Area Product Lead to craft a vision and strategy for this organization. You’ll partner closely with Mobile, Infrastructure, and Product engineering teams around the company to build a secure, feature complete, and flexible API for others to bring their own ideas to life.
If you care deeply about building effective interfaces and experiences for other developers, then we’d love to hear from you!
What you’ll achieve
- Provide technical leadership to 3 product engineering teams, providing mentorship on topics like longer-term technical planning, design & architecture, operational excellence and efficiency, and prioritizing tech debt
- Collaborate on strategic roadmap planning and sequencing and prioritize technical investments as a technical partner to an Engineering Director and Area Product Lead
- Collaborate with front-line Engineering Managers on creating growth opportunities for their reports, solutions to address technical skill gaps, and providing technical feedback on their reports
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with business partners (Solutions Engineering, User Operations, Customer Success, Product Marketing) and with key community developers. Yes, you’ll be talking to customers directly!
- You have 7+ years of experience working as a technical contributor in a full-stack environment, with experience as a technical leader over multiple engineering teams.
- You have experience working across a large codebase and product and a track record of successfully leading multiple complex, technical projects across multiple teams. You are experienced in shepherding a technical design from document to production.
- You are proactive about identifying opportunities for your team or the broader organization to improve and advocate or drive for those improvements.
- You have successfully scaled yourself by building out processes and systems that last beyond your direct intervention.
- You are experienced at mentoring and leveling up engineers at various experience levels.
- You deeply care about fostering collaboration and psychological safety among team members.
- You have strong communication skills for non-technical audiences. You can explain technical decisions and their implications clearly to customers and business partners.
At Asana, you’ll do meaningful, purpose-driven work. We’re not just building a product that helps people be more productive—we’re helping teams and organizations reach their goals together. For the past six years, we've been recognized as an award-winning workplace by Fortune and Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Inc. Magazine. Our inclusive culture is intentionally built to enable our teams to be creative and make an impact. With offices all over the world, we’re excited to get back to in-person collaboration along with a hybrid schedule for balance and flexibility in life and work. We’re looking for passionate individuals to join us on our journey. Come do great things with us.