Staff Software Engineer (Tech Lead), Automation EngineSan FranciscoApply now
The Automation team's mission is to help users automate work-about-work in order to improve productivity and help people focus on what matters most. We build powerful yet flexible tools for our users, enabling them to automate common and repeatable processes that individuals, teams, and organizations perform in the product.
Asana’s automation engine allows our users to create a wide variety of custom rules to automate and simplify their workflows. Our small but mighty team is kicking off a number of new efforts this year to make our automation engine more powerful, support more use cases, and to help users understand how to best leverage rules to save them and their teams significant time and effort.
We’re looking for a tech lead who can help us build the next generation of our rules platform. Although many teams have already adopted rules, we believe that we’re only at the beginning of our journey. There are still many directions we can go to improve what users can do with rules, and to allow them to model more complex and intricate workflows and use cases. As the tech lead of the Automation Team, you’ll be setting the technical strategy and direction for the future of Asana’s automation engine.
Our team is a full-stack team that supports both the automation engine and the rule builder UI, which we surface to our users in the Asana app. Because of this, you will collaborate closely with our dedicated data science, product, and design partners to drive alignment and ensure we are building the best-in-class experience for our users.
What you’ll achieve
- Own and develop the long-term technical roadmap for the Automation Team
- Define foundational architecture and strategic technical decisions to set the team up for success
- Partner closely with product, design, user experience, and data science to help define our product roadmap and drive alignment with the engineering team
- Provide technical mentorship to ICs and project leads on the team across multiple concurrent workstreams, delegating technical design and execution on individual projects where appropriate
- Lead day-to-day technical processes on the team, such as our sprint planning process, daily standups, etc.
- Foster a culture of curiosity and technical & product excellence on the team
- Help us plan for how to build the future of Automation at Asana
- 5+ years of experience making technical contributions to large full-stack codebases
- 2+ years of experience leading complex multi-person projects or leading individual teams
- Comfortable at developing and driving long-term technical roadmaps spanning multiple engineers
- Experienced at collaborating and driving alignment with other teams and cross-functional partners
- Enthusiastic about coaching and mentoring engineers of varying experience levels
- Passionate about creating a superb user experience and attentive to details
- Appreciate productivity and care deeply about helping teams collaborate more effectively
- Excited to build an inclusive culture where everyone brings their whole selves to work
Asana enables millions of teams around the world to achieve their goals together, from small projects to strategic initiatives. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace by Fortune, Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Built In for our inclusive culture that drives business results. After spending more than two years physically distanced, we're safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, adding more flexibility to our office-centric hybrid culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.