Engineering Manager, Core Storage InfrastructureSan FranciscoApply now
We are looking for an engineering manager that is passionate about helping their team members contribute more and develop not just as engineers, but also as human beings. You will focus on developing your team through compassionate leadership and nurturing a growth mindset. You are as enthusiastic about building your team through mentoring, coaching, and hiring as you are about the challenging technical problems that your team will solve.
The Core Storage Infrastructure (CSI) team builds and manages the foundational cloud storage layer for all of Asana’s user data. CSI is responsible for the reliability and integrity of user data that powers Asana’s application and other key systems like search, data aggregation, and analytics. The team’s charter includes the reliability infrastructure for our relational storage/databases, systems and processes to facilitate scaling of data read/write patterns, frameworks to manage and support user data privacy, security, and enterprise readiness. Each day, we combine industry best-practices and innovation to support Asana and solve the unique problems within the storage space.
In this role, you will lead and mentor a world-class team of engineers on building software systems to manage Asana’s online storage/data infrastructure, deploying and operating our storage technologies, and solving scaling challenges unique to our problem space.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage the storage/database infrastructure team with 5 engineers (and its future growth), including the technical lead
- Partner with the PM and cross-functional stakeholders to guide the articulation and execution of the strategic roadmap of the team, and its alignment with the vision of core infrastructure and Asana
- Help ensure that the database infrastructure maintains high availability; help the team conduct root cause analyses and post mortems for system failures
- Help the team identify single points of failure and future risks, and proactively mitigate them; design and implement scalability solutions to support Asana’s fast growth
- Recruit for and grow the team
- Define how the team evolves and interacts with the rest of Asana
- Prior experience building and operating infrastructure (preferably involving storage/data) and distributed systems at scale; (desirable) experience with cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS)
- 1-4 years of engineering management experience with relevant experience in planning/helping career progression and performance management of reports
- The rare mix of intelligence, charisma, integrity and technical skills that allow you to rapidly earn the trust of a technically astute team
- Experience collaborating with other engineering teams, PMs, and cross-functional partners on alignment and project execution
- Focus on maximizing impact, for yourself and your team
- Ability to provide valuable input to any technical or product discussion
- Oriented around the multi-year consequences of your decisions
What we’ll offer
Our comprehensive compensation package plays a big part in how we recognize you for the impact you have on our path to achieving our mission. We believe that compensation should be reflective of the value you create relative to the market value of your role. To ensure pay is fair and not impacted by biases, we're committed to looking at market value which is why we check ourselves and conduct a yearly pay equity audit.
For this role, the estimated base salary range is between $220,000 - $299,000. The actual base salary will vary based on various factors, including market and individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process. The listed range above is a guideline, and the base salary range for this role may be modified.
In addition to base salary, your compensation package may include additional components such as equity, sales incentive pay (for most sales roles), and benefits. If you're interviewing for this role, speak with your Talent Acquisition Partner to learn more about the total compensation and benefits for this role.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
By clicking "Submit Application," you acknowledge and agree to Asana's Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice.