Engineering Manager, Core Storage InfrastructureSan FranciscoApply now
We are looking for an engineering manager that is passionate about helping their team members contribute more and develop not just as engineers, but also as human beings. You will focus on developing your team through compassionate leadership and nurturing a growth mindset. You are as enthusiastic about building your team through mentoring, coaching, and hiring as you are about the challenging technical problems that your team will solve.
The Core Storage Infrastructure (CSI) team builds and manages the foundational cloud storage layer for all of Asana’s user data. CSI is responsible for the reliability and integrity of user data that powers Asana’s application and other key systems like search, data aggregation, and analytics. The team’s charter includes the reliability infrastructure for our relational storage/databases, systems and processes to facilitate scaling of data read/write patterns, frameworks to manage and support user data privacy, security, and enterprise readiness. Each day, we combine industry best-practices and innovation to support Asana and solve the unique problems within the storage space.
In this role, you will lead and mentor a world-class team of engineers on building software systems to manage Asana’s online storage/data infrastructure, deploying and operating our storage technologies, and solving scaling challenges unique to our problem space.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage the storage/database infrastructure team with 5 engineers (and its future growth), including the technical lead
- Partner with the PM and cross-functional stakeholders to guide the articulation and execution of the strategic roadmap of the team, and its alignment with the vision of core infrastructure and Asana
- Help ensure that the database infrastructure maintains high availability; help the team conduct root cause analyses and post mortems for system failures
- Help the team identify single points of failure and future risks, and proactively mitigate them; design and implement scalability solutions to support Asana’s fast growth
- Recruit for and grow the team
- Define how the team evolves and interacts with the rest of Asana
- Prior experience building and operating infrastructure (preferably involving storage/data) and distributed systems at scale; (desirable) experience with cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS)
- 1+ years of engineering management experience with relevant experience in planning/helping career progression and performance management of reports
- The rare mix of intelligence, charisma, integrity and technical skills that allow you to rapidly earn the trust of a technically astute team
- Experience collaborating with other engineering teams, PMs, and cross-functional partners on alignment and project execution
- Focus on maximizing impact, for yourself and your team
- Ability to provide valuable input to any technical or product discussion
- Oriented around the multi-year consequences of your decisions
At Asana, you’ll do meaningful, purpose-driven work. We’re not just building a product that helps people be more productive—we’re helping teams and organizations reach their goals together. For the past six years, we've been recognized as an award-winning workplace by Fortune and Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Inc. Magazine. Our inclusive culture is intentionally built to enable our teams to be creative and make an impact. With offices all over the world, we’re excited to get back to in-person collaboration along with a hybrid schedule for balance and flexibility in life and work. We’re looking for passionate individuals to join us on our journey. Come do great things with us.