Engineering Manager, Communications and NotificationsSan Francisco
At Asana, we’re building collaboration and communication software to help every team in the world work together effortlessly. The Communications and Notifications team focuses on the user's experience of receiving updates from other users (via messages, comments, status updates, etc.) and from the work itself (via notifications we send on multiple channels: Asana Inbox, emails, browser push, Desktop and mobile push). Our goal is to make communication about work feel effortless and drive work forward.
We connect communication and work, make core loops more efficient and surface the unknown to make whole orgs operate with clarity. We approach our goal through two primary workstreams: Communications and Notifications.
As an Engineering Manager on the Communications & Notifications team, you will focus on developing the excellent engineering team around you by helping others contribute more and develop your direct reports as software engineers as well as human beings. You'll solve challenging problems by balancing speed of execution with quality while building a product that users love. You are enthusiastic about recruiting and building a team as you are about the challenging technical problems that you and your team will solve. Additionally, you will partner with the team Technical Lead to ensure the team is healthy and you are looking for growth opportunities for both the individuals and the team.
What You'll Achieve
- Manage a team of full-stack engineers.
- Partner with the team's product managers, designers, and other engineers to choose an impactful and achievable roadmap.
- Work with our data scientists and user researchers to develop a deep understanding of our customers and their challenges.
- Coach and mentor the team's engineers for individual impact, balance, growth, and leadership.
- Thoughtfully craft the team's responsibilities, goals, and practices to achieve clarity and sustainable delivery across all functions.
- Collaborate with engineering leaders across the organization to help make Asana's workplace more balanced, performant, inclusive, and in-line with our values.
- Work closely with recruiting and other engineering managers to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences and events, as well as onboarding new employees.
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience in product engineering, with 2+ years experience managing a technical team.
- You have experience and enjoy working cross-functionally with product management, design, and data scientists teams.
- You are willing and able to dive into the code yourself as needed based on your team’s needs.
- You are focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole
- You are equipped with the engineering skills, empathy and integrity to build a trustworthy relationship with your teams and to evaluate and guide the career paths of technically-astute engineers.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done—and then doing it.
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world rely on Asana to achieve their most important goals, faster. Asana has been named a Top 10 Best Workplace for 5 years in a row, is Fortune's #1 Best Workplace in the Bay Area, and one of Glassdoor’s and Inc.’s Best Places to Work. After spending more than a year physically distanced, Team Asana is safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With 11+ offices all over the world, we are always looking for individuals who care about building technology that drives positive change in the world and a culture where everyone feels that they belong.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.