Employment Counsel (Americas)San Francisco
Our legal team works cross-functionally to help achieve Asana’s mission of enabling the world’s teams to work together effortlessly. The Legal team is a collaborative group responsible for partnering with all teams throughout the organization to provide legal guidance enabling Asanas to achieve their goals in service to our mission. We run ideas past each other, problem-solve together, and partner with other groups to navigate through challenging issues.
Specifically, we’re looking for an experienced employment counsel to support our US People team, which includes people operations, talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, learning and development, diversity and inclusion, and employee engagement. Based out of San Francisco, this role will report to our Global Employment Counsel and requires someone with deep expertise in advising on US employment matters, including particular expertise in California employment law.. This is a great opportunity to join a mission-driven company and offers exposure to a wide variety of issues.
What you’ll achieve
- Be a partner to our People team (includes People Operations, Talent Acquisition, Compensation and Benefits, Learning & Development, Diversity & Inclusion, and Employee Engagement) to provide subject matter expertise on a full range of US employment-related issues, including accommodations, leaves, performance management, recruiting, hiring, compensation and benefits, retention, growth and development, and employee relations issues
- With the People Team, co-create policies and procedures, as well as coordinate and drive completion of employment related projects, including internal process reviews, new policy roll-outs and implementation
- Drive the creation and delivery of regular training related to US employment law matters
- Assist in the management of US employment litigation, including resolving demand letters and pre-litigation disputes, supervising discovery, and managing both outside counsel and internal resources
- Partner with the Employee Relations team on workplace investigations and employee relations concerns
- Promote compliance with legal requirements including, ADA, wage & hour, exempt classification, and workplace safety
- Review offer letters, as needed, contractor agreements, vendor agreements, and compensation and benefits plans, including templates.
- Monitor developments in US employment law
- JD or equivalent and U.S.-qualified (California bar required)
- 8-12 years of experience working at a law firm counseling high-growth technology companies on employment matters and/or working in-house at a technology company as employment counsel
- Experience advising on California and federal employment law
- Subject matter expertise advising on U.S. employment matters, including FLSA, litigation, compensation, equity, regulatory compliance, recruiting, employee relations, and general employment and office related policies
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability to assess situations and questions quickly, often without perfect information, and understand the relative importance of various decisions
- Ability to partner with stakeholders to provide clear, actionable, and practical advice
- Track record of taking initiative, working well across an organization and having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and able to thrive in ambiguity
- Great communicator that is comfortable liaising with multiple teams to solve problems and promptly answer questions
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world, from small businesses to large enterprises, rely on Asana to manage everything from company objectives to digital transformation to product launches and marketing campaigns. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. After spending more than a year physically distanced, we are safely and mindfully returning our global teams to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.