Data Science ManagerSan Francisco
Data Science Manager, Workflow Pillar Lead (SF)
We’re looking for a strategic leader who is passionate about leveraging data to drive product decisions and building a great team to do so. You’ll guide teams of data scientists with a focus on using data to build new product features. You are someone who enjoys the challenge of balancing speed of results with robust statistical practice, deciding when to bias for one or the other based on product goals, as well as creating processes for your team that help them do the same. You are as enthusiastic about building and mentoring a team as you are about the challenging technical problems that you and your team will solve. You are excited to build out your team by hiring and managing multiple data managers. You will report directly into the Head of Data.
You will lead Data Science for core product surfaces, like Asana’s customized Workflow, automation tools, communications, and platform integrations. You’ll focus on providing rich insights into how customers use Asana, designing and evaluating experiments that shape product direction, building models for both data-powered product features, and guiding the rigorous use of behavioral data for decision-making.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage teams of data scientists partnering with Asana’s product teams
- Partner closely with Product Management, Design, and Engineering leaders to drive strategy and provide operational leadership
- Implement team practices that empower cross-functional partners to make data-informed decisions, striking a balance between rigorous quantitative methods and speed of decision-making
- Guide data scientists and new managers in their technical and professional development
- Work closely with recruiting and other data team managers to help grow the team
- Drive strategic improvements in our data capabilities (e.g. logging, experimentation, analysis)
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, related degree, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of total work experience in data science or an engineering related field
- 5+ years of experience managing a data science team solving product problems and driving product strategy
- Kind and intellectually mature
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done — and then doing it
- Excited to partner with product teams on both large, strategic data projects and small, routine requests
- Strong technical background in computer science, statistics, math, information science, or another quantitative field
- Fluency in at least one modern language useful for statistics and/or data processing (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Proficiency with relational databases and SQL
- Proficiency with large-scale distributed data warehousing or processing platforms (e.g. Redshift, Hive, Spark, Elastic MapReduce) is a plus
- Experience managing a distributed team (in multiple geographic locations) is a plus
- Experience working with product design/development at a B2B SaaS company is a plus
Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from small projects to strategic initiatives. Millions of teams around the world, from small businesses to large enterprises, rely on Asana to manage everything from company objectives to digital transformation to product launches and marketing campaigns. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplace in the Bay Area for four years in a row, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, #14 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. After spending more than a year physically distanced, we are safely and mindfully returning our global teams to in-person collaboration, incorporating flexibility that adds hybrid elements to our office-centric culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.