Software Engineer, SearchNew York City
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer who can push the boundaries of our thinking of what search could be and bring industry best practices to the Explore team - one of Asana’s core product teams. As a member of the Explore team, you’ll focus on enabling millions of users around the world to effortlessly find information within Asana. Our users value productivity and staying in their workflow. Your work will give our users a seamless experience to find the information they need to accomplish their tasks without disruptions.
Your contributions will range across the stack, but you will spend the majority of your time improving precision and relevance of our search system based on ElasticSearch. You will be an integral part of the entire product development process - from conception to post-launch reflection - often leading larger scoped projects with multiple teammates. You will collaborate closely with our dedicated Data Science and Product partners to identify and measure best approaches to improve the search experience of our users.
Asana is helping teams in 195 countries become significantly more productive with our leading work management platform. Your work will continuously improve the Asana experience, helping us achieve our mission to enable all teams to work together effortlessly. We’re looking for outstanding people to help us innovate and scale.
What you’ll achieve
- Improve precision and relevance of Asana’s search backend
- Integrate data and insights from Asana “work graph” into our search capabilities to make the results better tailored to our user needs
- Apply Machine Learning to solving search related problems
- Lead large scope projects around search that involve multiple teammates and require coordination with cross-functional stakeholders (Product, Design, Data Science and User Experience Research)
- Bring industry best practices for search to the team and mentor fellow engineers to become stronger technical contributors
- You may contribute to full stack development using React, NodeJS, and Scala to make our search user experience better
- Develop clean, beautiful code and leave it better than you found it
- 4+ years of experience working within large, well maintained codebases
- 2+ years of experience developing a search product
- 1+ years of experience leading projects with multiple contributors
- Experience with ElasticSearch or Apache Solr
- Experience with Machine Learning algorithms for ranking or recommendations is a plus
- Experience using Scala, Typescript and React are nice to have
- Excellent communication skills for collaborating with other teams
- Sound judgment when balancing moving quickly with producing quality code and long-term code maintainability
- Passionate about creating a superlative user experience and attentive to details
- Appreciate productivity and care deeply about helping teams collaborate more effectively and efficiently, including your own
- Excited to be a part of an inclusive culture where everyone brings the aspects of themselves to the workplace that they need to thrive
Asana enables millions of teams around the world to achieve their goals together, from small projects to strategic initiatives. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace by Fortune, Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Built In for our inclusive culture that drives business results. After spending more than two years physically distanced, we're safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, adding more flexibility to our office-centric hybrid culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.