Commercial CounselSan Francisco
Our legal team works cross-functionally to help achieve Asana’s ambitious mission of enabling all teams to work together effortlessly. We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group responsible for supporting all teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while likewise protecting Asana’s core values and interests. We run ideas past each other, we problem-solve together, we partner with other groups to navigate them through challenging issues, and we’re growing our team.
Specifically, we’re looking for a commercial counsel to join our commercial legal team. Based out of San Francisco, this role requires someone skilled at managing complex inbound and outbound commercial transactions, specifically including prior experience negotiating enterprise-level SaaS agreements. In addition to being a key partner to the sales team, you will also work closely with other stakeholders around the company in drafting and negotiating a wide variety of agreements. Above all, you will bring a business-oriented, pragmatic mindset to solving problems while delivering legal advice without the legalese. This is a great opportunity to help scale the existing commercial legal team in a mission-driven company and offers exposure to a wide variety of issues. This role reports to Asana’s NAMER Lead Commercial Counsel.
What you’ll achieve
- Working closely with our global sales team to negotiate enterprise level SaaS agreements
- Implementing scalable contracting frameworks and standards to support a business in high growth mode
- Supporting all areas of the business by drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes
- Wearing multiple hats depending on the day by providing general legal advice and counsel to our global team
- Advising business stakeholders, taking into account the relevant legal issues and risks, agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- Managing outside counsel as needed
- 6+ years experience of working in-house and/or at a law firm counseling companies on technology transactions (in-house experience at a SaaS technology company a plus)
- JD from an accredited law school and U.S.-qualified (California bar membership or California registered in-house counsel preferred)
- Exposure to international commercial contracting issues, particularly in EMEA, APAC and ANZ, and experience with navigating data privacy issues in a commercial context a strong plus
- Prior work standing up frameworks and standards for inbound commercial arrangements to ensure consistency in how Asana procures software and services
- Experience helping a global commercial team based in multiple locations to scale
- Excellent legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess relevant/material risks quickly and to communicate those risks to business partners in non-legal speak
- Track record of taking initiative, having the ability to work independently, handle multiple projects with competing deadlines, and ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience working cross-functionally and preferably with sales, finance and marketing teams
- Great communicator that is comfortable liaising with multiple teams to solve problems
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented with a passion for closing deals while protecting Asana’s values and business interests
Asana enables millions of teams around the world to achieve their goals together, from small projects to strategic initiatives. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace by Fortune, Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Built In for our inclusive culture that drives business results. After spending more than two years physically distanced, we're safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, adding more flexibility to our office-centric hybrid culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.