Software Engineer, Search InfrastructureSan Francisco
Does the combination of software and infrastructure excite you?! How about building software-driven infrastructure to manage and scale our Search infrastructure?
The Search Infrastructure team at Asana is looking for an infrastructure software engineer to help us build and manage reliable infrastructure to scale the search technology that powers Asana's search and work-collaboration analytics. Here are the team’s primary responsibilities:
- Expertise: Build and provide domain expertise within technology and infrastructure
- Features: Power and support search-driven product features like analytics
- Reliability: Own overall search infrastructure reliability (uptime, SLAs, scalability)
This role with Search Infrastructure offers you:
- High Impact and Learning: Search technology powers Asana’s user-facing search functionality and analytics for work collaboration; the team’s work provides space for critical impact through powering core features of Asana application, strong collaboration with product/other engineering teams, and big impact through end-to-end ownership of projects.
- Technical Problems at Scale: With Asana's fast-growing scale and user data, the team provides the opportunity to design/build complex engineering systems at scale.
- Cloud Infrastructure and Tooling: Adopt and evolve best practices of running applications in the cloud (AWS), learn Asana's internal infrastructure and build state-of-the-art tooling.
What You’ll Achieve:
- Produce high-quality design and code to build frameworks, services, and the necessary tooling to build and scale Asana’s search infrastructure
- Lead impactful projects end-to-end within search infrastructure balancing engineering craftsmanship, execution, and stakeholder alignment
- Analyze problems, consider alternative solutions/trade-offs, and make key technical implementation decisions related to search infrastructure
- Keep our services up and running by being part of our on-call rotation; investigate and resolve production issues
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to define service oriented architecture, enable application features, and help guide engineering vision at Asana
- Evangelize good code and solid engineering and operability practices
- Support design reviews, communicate constraints, and help engineers make the right trade-offs
- Strategize and contribute to the future of search Infrastructure at Asana
- Have expertise in programming and computer science, and strong interest in distributed systems
- 4+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years of experience building and scaling high-volume storage/online data systems (e.g. databases, search infrastructure), and operating highly available, user-facing production services
- Are looking for a blameless and open environment where you and your teammates empower one another moving towards a shared goal
- Are willing and able to empathetically collaborate with different roles and functions across Asana
- You’re a fast learner and are excited about the opportunity to make an immediate impact
Nice to Have:
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Experience with MySQL on AWS (RDS)
- Good understanding of data stores (SQL, NoSQL, Search) and internals
- Familiarity with AWS Services (IAM, DynamoDB, RDS, EKS, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and experience of SRE principles
- Experience building scalable, highly-available service oriented architectures
Asana enables millions of teams around the world to achieve their goals together, from small projects to strategic initiatives. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace by Fortune, Great Place to Work, Fast Company, Glassdoor, and Built In for our inclusive culture that drives business results. After spending more than two years physically distanced, we're safely and mindfully returning to in-person collaboration, adding more flexibility to our office-centric hybrid culture. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.