- Skip Ahead to
- Enabling and disabling email notifications
- Daily summary
- Activity updates
- Reply to notifications
- Weekly reports
- Batch updates
To stay informed on activity in Asana, you can receive email notifications or use Inbox.
There are three types of email notifications:
- Activity updates
- Mentions only
- Daily summaries
- Weekly reports
Email notification settings
To access your email notification settings:
- Click your profile photo in the top bar and select My Settings...
- Navigate to the Notifications tab
- Check/uncheck any of the boxes to toggle your email notifications on/off
You can also access your email notification settings from your Inbox:
- Click on Inbox from the sidebar
- Click the three dot icon on the right to expand the menu
- Select Manage notifications
Turn off notifications
If you do not want email notifications, you can turn them off using the instructions in the section above and use your Inbox exclusively to stay up to date in Asana.
To receive fewer notifications and minimize Inbox noise:
- Turn off the notifications by email
- Remove yourself as a collaborator on tasks, messages or projects
- Adjust the notifications for each project in My Settings...
Notifications on deleted teams & deleted projects cannot be turned off as they contain links that allow you to recover them.
How to filter notifications:
Go to Inbox, where you can filter notifications by:
- Assigned to me
- Assigned by me
- Unread only
We will send out a clear daily update (Mon-Fri, excluding weekends) on what you need to focus on in Asana that day. This email will include any or all of the three applicable sections:
Tasks due soon: These are the tasks that are assigned to you that are due within the next 5 days.
Tasks recently assigned: This section will display tasks that were recently assigned to you, regardless of whether the task has a due date or not.
Tasks you've assigned to others: This section will display tasks that you have recently assigned to others, regardless of whether the task has a due date or not.
Overdue tasks will not appear in Daily summary emails.
If you do not have tasks in one of these categories, this section will not appear in the email.
You will receive an email notification for the following activities:
- A task is assigned to you
- A task is unassigned from you
- A task assigned to you has its due date changed
- You have been added as a follower of a task
- A task you are following has new files
- A task you are following has new comments
- A task you are following is marked complete
- A task you are following is given a like
- Your comment is liked
- Your attachment is liked
- Your task completion is liked
- A message is started in a team or a project you're a member of
- A comment is posted in a message you're following
- A project you are a member of has new tasks
- There is a new Status Update for a project you're a member of
- The status of a task you've been waiting on has been changed
- A task is moved from one column to another in a Board's project
- You have been assigned a task to approve
Activity notifications are only sent out for actions and changes performed by others; you will not receive a notification for actions you perform yourself.
Collaborate or remove yourself as a collaborator on tasks and messages to start or stop receiving Inbox notifications.
Inbox notifications generate automatically as you complete and take action on your tasks.
Reply to notifications
Reply to an email notification to:
- Mark the task complete - reply to the email and type Complete or Done as the first word in your message
- Comment on the task - reply to the email
- Assign the task to a teammate - reply to the email and add your teammate's email address in the To: field
- Add a teammate as a task collaborator - reply to the email and add your teammate's email address in the CC: field
These tips can be found at the bottom of your email notifications.
Do not save the reply-to address in your Contacts list. It will change.
We will send an email once a week containing project Status Updates in your portfolios.
You can receive a maximum of 20 weekly report emails per week.
If you're receiving multiple notifications within an hour of each other, Asana will batch them into a single email. Critical notifications like task assignments will always be sent individually, but updates around new tasks created or completed will be batched.
We wait 30 seconds before delivering email notifications (i.e., email notifications about non-batchable stories).
The 30 second threshold for receiving email notifications only applies for critical notifications. For example a task assigned to you is a critical notification. For less important notifications, the wait period is 60 minutes.
If you happen to archive those notifications within the 30 second interval, we will suppress those emails.
Different types of notification have different batching behaviors.
Batched meaning collated in one singular email to avoid clutter and un-batched meaning notifications sent out separately for each individual update.
What is batched:
- Assignment notification batched for the previous assignee (but not the current assignee who gets a critical notification)
- Task completion notifications are batched (except if the task being completed was a Milestone)
What is not batched:
- Custom Fields that have been changed (if enabled) are not batched
- Comments are not batched
- "X completed the last task you were waiting on" notifications are not batched
- Files notifications are not batched