Create and use Asana templates
- Skip Ahead to
- Create custom templates
- Use Asana-created templates
- Create template tasks
- Examples of template tasks
If your team has projects and work they repeat, you don’t need to recreate those tasks and projects in Asana every time. Whether you create your own custom template or use an Asana-created template, it’s easy to save templates you don’t have to start from scratch or miss any steps.
Quick Asana templates demo walkthrough
Create custom templates
Create custom templates for common workflows and projects to save time on future project setup and ensure that everyone is following the right processes. You can update these templates as you refine your processes and learn from past projects.
Create a new custom template:
- Create a new project (or duplicate one you already have and clean it up) to capture a sequence of tasks your team completes regularly. Make sure you have all the task details ready to go. For example, you can pre-assign tasks with due dates and attachments (the due dates will auto update based on the project start/finish date you set when you use the template).
- Once you’ve made the project template, click the project header drop-down, and select Save as Template. Make sure to not delete or archive the project.
- Click on the arrow icon next to the project title
- Click on ‘Save as template’
Use a custom template:
- To use your templates, create a new project by clicking the + button in the top bar.
- Click the Templates tab in the new project screen. Your custom templates will be organized by team in a tab with your Organization's name.
Use Asana-created templates
If you want to save even more time or need help getting started, check out our Asana-created templates. Our pre-made templates help you set up a variety of workflows that you can further customize to meet your team’s needs.
To use Asana-created templates, you'll follow the same steps above, but stay in the "General templates" tab. You can use the team dropdown to browse all the different templates by team.
Create template tasks
You can also duplicate tasks that have repeatable workflows.
To add a template:
- Click on the Customize button
- Scroll down and select Add template
- Use "template" or "duplicate me" in the task name, so it’s easy to find using search and so nobody accidentally modifies it.
- Duplicate the task by clicking the ... button in the top right corner of the task, then selecting Duplicate task....
Here are a few examples of where you could duplicate a task:
- New account checklist (for account managers of a new client)
- Product launch for marketing
- A new content piece
To make a template task library, create a "template" tag. Tag all of your template tasks, then favorite the tag, so the list is accessible from your sidebar later.