Copy tasks and projects
If your team regularly uses a common workflow, you don’t need to recreate those tasks and projects in Asana every time. We’ve made it easy to copy existing tasks and projects so that anything can become a template.
Copy tasks when the work has five or fewer steps or tasks.
Create a new template task:
- Create a new task. We suggest you use “template” or “copy me” in the task name, so it’s easy to find using search and so nobody accidentally modifies it.
- Add all of the steps as subtasks (to create the subtasks quickly, use the keyboard shortcut Tab+S).
- Be sure to make the template task public or add followersfollowers Add followers to any task and they will receive notifications about updates to the task. Read more , so that others can access it.
- Copy the task by selecting Make a copy from task actions (the three dot button) in the top-right corner of the right pane.
Use an existing task:
- Copy an existing task with the correct subtasks. Select Make a copy from task actions (the three dot button) in the top-right corner of the right pane.
- Rename the task to include the word “template” or “copy me.” Uncheck all fields that aren’t needed in the template, like assignee, due date, followers, or attachments. You can also include more details in the task descriptiontask description Task description is a text field that allows users to add details and context to their tasks. Read more about the workflow and how to use the task.
- To use the template again, just searchsearch Search allows you to find any task, project, or Conversation in your Workspace or Organization. Read more “template” or “copy me,” select the task, and duplicate it.
Here are a few examples of where you could copy a task:
- New account checklist (for account managers of a new client)
- Product launch for marketing
- A new content piece
To make a template library, create a “template” tagtag Use tags to mark tasks or group together similar tasks. Read more . Tag all of your template tasks, then starstar Users can star projects, people, tags, or custom search views to easily access them in the sidebar. Read more the tag, so the list is accessible from your sidebarsidebar Use the sidebar to navigate to the dashboard, starred items, projects, and teams. The sidebar can be collapsed. Read more later.
Copy projects for work that involves more than five steps or tasks.
Create a new template project:
- Create a new project to capture a sequence of tasks your team completes regularly. Use “template” or “copy me” in the project name so it is easily discoverable by your team using the searchsearch Search allows you to find any task, project, or Conversation in your Workspace or Organization. Read more function and so nobody modifies it.
- Add the appropriate sections, columns, or custom fields, and tasks to the template project.
- You can assign tasks, include attachments, and task details to the template project in advance. You can also include more details in the project descriptionproject description The project description is a place to provide teammates with the goals and overview of a project. Read more about the workflow and how to use the project.
- Anytime you are about to begin the process, just copy the project and rename the project (click the dropdown at the top right of the main pane).
Use an existing project as a template:
- Once you’re done using the project for current work, rename the project to include the word “template” or “copy me.” Remove information that isn’t needed, such as due dates, assignees, and attachments. The project is now ready to be copied in the future.
- After your project is cleaned up to be copied, you can copy it for future use by selecting Copy Project in the dropdown next to the project name.
- Anytime you are about to begin the process, searchsearch Search allows you to find any task, project, or Conversation in your Workspace or Organization. Read more for the project using the word “template” or “copy me” then duplicate and rename the project.
Use an Asana-created template:
If you want to save even more time, check out our Asana-created templates. Our pre-made templates help you set up a variety of workflows that you can further customize to meet your team’s needs.
To use Asana-created templates:
- Create a new project by clicking the + button in the top bartop bar The top bar appears at the very top of Asana above the header. Read more or next to a list of your team’s projects in the side bar.
- Click the Templates tab in the new project screen. There are two free templates, with additional templates available to Premium users.
- Select Use Template to create a project using this template, or Preview to see what’s in the template.
- Once you’ve selected your template, you can rename the template, and choose which team the project should go in. You can share the project with your team, or make it private to yourself. Click Create Project when you’re ready.
Here are a few examples of where you could try copying a project:
With the flexibility of Asana, you can build out entire workflows and processes and save time by copying them, and so no step gets missed.