Creating & managing Workspaces
Create a Workspace
Create a Workspace to collaborate with other people in Asana.
To create a new Workspace:
- Click your profile photo and select My Profile Settings from the list
- Click the Account tab
- Select Create New Workspace
A single Asana account can join or create multiple Workspaces. Create Workspaces for different groups of people you want to collaborate with.
Convert your existing Workspace to an Organization
If you need to create multiple teams or work across different departments, you can convert one of your existing Workspaces into an Organization. Learn about the differences between Workspaces and Organizations here.
You must first add your company email address to your Asana account before you can convert a Workspace into an Organization.
To access your Workspace Admin Console:
- Click your profile icon in the top right corner
- Click Admin Console
From the Admin Console:
- Click Settings
- Click Convert to Organization
From the Convert to Organization tab:
- Select your work email address
If this email domain is not already in use with another Organization, you will be prompted to click the Convert button.
Issues converting your Workspace?
If you have difficulty converting one of your existing Workspaces into an Organization, and you're not seeing the message that your email domain is already in use, please contact the Asana Support team and include the following information:
- The name of your Organization or your largest/most active company Workspace
- Your email domain
We will then convert your largest Workspace into a teamteamA team is a group of people in an Organization who are working together on a collection of projects.Read more within the new Organization.
Copy this text to speed up the process:
Primary Org/Workspace: Email domain:
If you are converting a paid Workspace into an Organization, this converts the Workspace into a paid team in a free Organization. If you would like to move your subscription from the team to an Organization level, please reach out to our Asana Support team.
If you have a shared university email domain (i.e.
college.edu), a separate subdomain (i.e.
staff.college.edu) will be required to create an Organization.
Workspace Admin Console
Access the Admin Console menu to:
- Edit the Workspace name
- Manage people and invitations
- Manage billing applicable for those who've upgraded to a Premium Workspace
Only Workspace Members can access the Admin Console, Limited Access Members cannot.
From the Admin Console, you can access the following tabs; Members, Billing, Settings, Apps and Resources:
From the Members tab, you can:
- View a list of Members and Limited Access Members in your Workspace
- Convert any Member into a Limited Access Member, or vice versa
- Remove any Member or Limited Access Member from your Workspace
- Invite new people into your Workspace
From the Settings tab you can:
- Change your Workspace name
- Convert your Workspace to an Organization
Deactivate a Workspace
Since Workspaces are shared spaces, leaving a Workspace does not delete the projects and tasks in it.
If your Workspace is no longer needed, you can deactivate it by:
Once everything has been deleted, and you're the only remaining Member, you can leave the Workspace yourself.
A Workspace can only be accessed by those invited. If all Members have been removed, the Workspace will no longer be accessible.
It is not possible to archive Workspaces.