Creating & managing Workspaces
Create a Workspace
Create a Workspace to collaborate with other people in Asana.
To create a new Workspace:
- Click your profile photo and select My Profile Settings from the list
- Click the Account tab
- Select Create New Workspace
A single Asana account can join or create multiple Workspaces. Create Workspaces for different groups of people you want to collaborate with.
Convert your existing Workspace to an Organization
If you need to create multiple teams or work across different departments, you can convert one of your existing Workspaces into an Organization. Learn about the differences between Workspaces and Organizations here.
You must first add your company email address to your Asana account before you can convert a Workspace into an Organization.
To convert a Workspace:
- Click your profile photo and select [Workspace Name] Settings from the list
- Click the Convert to Organization tab
- Select the email domain you wish to associate with your Organization from the Work Email dropdown field
- If this email domain is not already in use with another Organization, you will be prompted to click the Convert to Organization button
You can also add a new work email address to your Asana account to convert your Workspace using a different email domain.
If you have difficulty converting one of your existing Workspaces into an Organization, and you’re not seeing the message that your email domain is already in use, please contact the Asana Support team and include the following information:
- The name of your Organization or your largest/most active company Workspace
- Your email domain
Copy this text to speed up the process:
Primary Org/Workspace: Email domain:
After you write in with the pertinent information, we will convert your largest Workspace into a teamteam A team is a group of people in an Organization who are working together on a collection of projects. Read more within new Organization.
If you have a shared university email domain (i.e.
college.edu), a separate subdomain (i.e.
staff.college.edu) will be required to create an Organization.
Access the Workspace Settings menu to:
- Edit the Workspace name
- Manage people and invitations
- Manage billing (applicable for those who’ve upgraded to a Premium Workspace)
Only Workspace Members can access a Workspace’s Settings, Limited Access Members cannot.
Access Workspace Settings
- Click your profile photo
- Select [Workspace’s Name] Settings
From your Workspace’s Settings, you will see 3 tabs: General, Members, and Advanced.
From the General tab, you can:
Change the name of your Workspace.
From the Members tab, you can:
- View a list of Members and Limited Access Members in your Workspace
- Convert any Member into a Limited Access Member, or vice versa
- Remove any Member or Limited Access Member from your Workspace
- Invite new people into your Workspace
From the Advanced tab, you can:
Enable/disable the Harvest integration for your Workspace.
Delete a Workspace
Since Workspaces are shared spaces, leaving a Workspace does not delete the projects and tasks in it.
If your Workspace is no longer needed, you can delete it by:
Once everything has been deleted and you’re the only remaining Member, you can leave the Workspace yourself.
A Workspace can only be accessed by those invited. If all Members have been removed, the Workspace will no longer be accessible.
It is not possible to archive Workspaces.