- Skip Ahead to
- How to Create a Task Template
- Editing an Existing Template
- Creating Tasks from Existing Templates
- Additional Information
Task templates make it easy to standardize tasks in your project so you can use those templates to quickly set up the same tasks over and over again. This enables you to create repeatable workflows and saves time, as you don’t have to start from scratch every time you create the same task.
You can use task Templates to set the following details:
- Task type (Task, Milestone or Approval)
- Relative due date
- All custom fields
- Task description
You can set the task type on task templates, such that any task created from the Template will also be of that task type.
You can set an Assignee on task templates to streamline repeat workflows.
Please note that setting an Assignee will not add the task to their My Tasks list.
Relative due dates
Task templates allow you to set relative due dates. So, instead of creating tasks that are always due on an absolute date (e.g. Jan 21st), you can create task templates so that resulting tasks have due dates set to any number of days in the future, relative to when it’s created.
How to Create a Task Template
Convert an Existing Task into a Template
To Convert a Task into a Template:
- Click on the three dot icon
- Choose convert task to template
Via the Customize Tab in your Project Toolbar
To Add a Template:
- Click on the Customize tab
- Scroll down and select Add template
From the next window, you can:
- Mark the Template as a Task, Milestone or Approval
- Add a title
- Set an Assignee
- Add a relative due date or date range
- Edit or set your custom fields
- Write a description
- Add collaborators
- Add subtasks
- Delete your Template
When you’ve edited your Template details, click Done to save it.
Editing an Existing Template
To edit an existing Template, navigate to the Customize tab in your Project Toolbar. Then scroll down to Task Templates and click the pencil icon next to the task you want to edit.
Creating Tasks from Existing Templates
You can use templates to create tasks using any of the add task entry points in your project. If your project has a task Template on it, clicking Add new or the + button next to your section headers will open a drop-down menu with all available task templates.
From the Add new drop-down menu
Using the + icon
- Task templates are unavailable on mobile.
- Converting a task to a Template closes the original task.
- Task templates don’t currently copy over when you duplicate projects.