With task dependencies, you can mark a task as waiting on another task.
Teams with collaborative workflows can easily see what tasks they’re waiting on from others, and know when to get started on their portion of work.
When the first task is completedcompleted To mark a task with a checkmark to indicate that it is done. Read more , it will notify the assigneeassignee The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more of the next task that they can start on their task.
Mark tasks as dependent on
To mark a task as dependent on:
- Click the three dot icon from the right paneright pane The right pane holds the details of a task or Conversation. Read more
- In the drop down menu that appears, click Mark as Dependent on…
- Begin typing the name of the task you wish to be the precedent task
- Select the task in the typeahead that appears
The dependent task will have a banner in its right paneright pane The right pane holds the details of a task or Conversation. Read more indicating it is waiting on another task.
The indication banner will only appear in the dependent task’s right pane.
Drawing dependencies on your Timeline
You can set dependencies directly on your Timeline by clicking the connector icon that appears when hovering over a task and then dragging to another task.
To draw dependencies on your Timeline:
- Click on the connector icon when hovering over a task.
- Drag the connector over to the task you wish to mark as Dependent On.
A single task can be dependent on multiple tasks and multiple tasks can be dependent on a single task.
If a single task is dependent on multiple tasks, each precedent task will appear in the dependent task’s right pane.
To remove a dependency, hover over an existing indication banner and click the X symbol that appears.
The assigneeassignee The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more of the dependent task will receive notifications for the following actions:
- The precedent task is marked completecomplete To mark a task with a checkmark to indicate that it is done. Read more
- The precedent task has its due datedue date The date that a task or subtask is due. Read more changed or removed
If a task is dependent on multiple tasks, you will only receive one notification when all precedent tasks have been completed.