Dashboards are project-level tabs containing graphs and visualizations that let you zoom out from the day to day to quickly understand your team’s progress. These charts help to instantly identify potential blockers in your team’s work and subsequently move the project forward.
The Dashboard tab is a good reference point to find data to get a quick pulse on how the project is progressing.
This feature is available for all paid tiers in Asana (Premium, Business and Enterprise).
How to Access:
- From your chosen project navigate to the Dashboard tab
- From here you can access charts that are pre-populated for you
Dashboards gives you a high level overview of the tasks in your project.
You can customize the charts on your Dashboard tab to see the data you care about most.
Dashboard and Charts
You can view real-time project progress from your Dashboard and use pre-configured charts to easily report on and communicate status updates with clarity and authority.
The charts in Dashboards will auto-populate when you first land on the tab — no need to set anything up. Dashboards will automatically update every time you visit the tab or refresh the page, so you know the information is always up to date.
To customize your charts, use the drop-downs right from the chart titles to quickly slice and dice project data to fit your needs.
How they work:
The tab has a few components.
- Task count cards (complete, incomplete, overdue, total)
- 3 customizable charts
- Burnup chart
- Number Custom Field Sum
Types of charts
Incomplete tasks by section.
- From the drop-down arrow at tasks by section you have options to swap out section for completion status or any custom field in the menu so you can see a vertical distribution of data points to compare and contrast.
- View tasks by section to understand where in your team’s process there are potential bottlenecks
- You can swap in any of your custom fields to see the status of the project and where there are blockers
All tasks by completion.
Here you can:
- Get a quick pulse on how big each of your work slices are, for example are your incomplete tasks a tiny, or large piece of the pie?
- Visually represent tasks by completion status or tasks by section custom field by swapping out one for the other
You can also swap in milestones or approvals by completion from the drop-down menu from All tasks.
From the drop-down menu on every chart, you can view a list of fields that you can interchange for comparison. This drop-down menu instantly changes the way data is organised.
Upcoming tasks by assignee.
This helps to:
- Understand how work is distributed across your team. At a quick glance you can gauge who is performing and who might be overloaded
- You can swap out Upcoming for Incomplete, Complete for Overdue and All by assignee
If you hover over the assignee lollipop you can see how many tasks they have upcoming. Only the top five assignees by task count will be displayed in your Dashboard. Click on +more to see the rest.
This chart helps you track your team’s velocity over time and how quickly your team is completing work.
Number Custom Field Sum
You can add a number field to your project to see its value in this chart.
Enhance your data report with a sum total of your existing numeric custom fields in a particular project. Whatever your individual custom fields are, they will populate the chart to create a roll-up summary. The drop-down menu will give you options again for swap customization.
We can sum up any of your numeric custom fields across the project. We recommend using this chart when comparing estimates to actuals, such as budget to actual costs, or if you want to quickly sum up the hours your team has spent on the project.
If you have numeric custom fields we will automatically pull those onto the Dashboard.
How to export a chart
You can export each one of the charts to an image (png) individually.
If you want to add charts to your status update, download the chart and simply add as an attachment in the status builder. You can then drag it into an email, a Slack message or a presentation slide to report on team progress.
To download an image:
- Click on the three dot icon on the top right hand corner of the chart in Dashboard
- Choose Download image
You cannot export the whole dashboard as one.
How to see more context:
You can hover to see data points. For more detail click into the charts to see the underlying data and subtext. Dig deeper by clicking through on the actual bars and scroll for greater insights.
Subtasks do not appear on charts nor are they summed up in the numeric rollup. To have subtasks appear on your Dashboard, home them to your project as outlined in our guide here.
Users feel confident with visuals because they have a clear, data backed picture of relevant work from which they can easily translate their story to a diverse group of stakeholders, building trust and facilitating fast action. You can see where you’ve come from and where you are going.
Managers, Directors, and Program Leads responsible for the execution of strategic goals need visuals so they can see progress in real-time, quickly flag issues and zone in on the work that matters most.
Dashboard in Asana is a data dashboard that displays key performance indicators relating to specific projects. It can display metrics for a project's overall performance and progress, or highlight particular problems that require further attention.
Offering visual data in your reports makes it easier for your audience to quickly grasp the information presented and then consider the outcomes from that data.
Use these features to :
- Monitor the work of one or more projects and identify constraints or roadblocks
- Track progress against goals and report the status to senior leadership
- Distill the biggest pain points into a problem statement/visual for stakeholders
- Gain valuable insights into your projects
- Bring data to life and be ahead of the curve
- Get a complete overview on project trajectory
By using these charts to report you are :
- Driving & simplifying workflow
- Being accountable and giving clarity
- Turning your data into actionable insights
- Sending a more impactful message more quickly