- Skip Ahead to
- Access Workload from Portfolios
- Capacity Overview
- Hover states
- Drill down view
- Drag and drop tasks
Workload gives you a visual snapshot of team capacity, and a closer look into what your team is working on across projects — all in one place. Pinpoint conflicts so you can address risks and keep projects on track by easily reassigning or rescheduling tasks in the same view. Make sure team members aren’t overwhelmed or underworked and projects are properly staffed.
Access Workload from Portfolios
You can access Workload through Portfolios - Click Portfolios in the sidebar, select a Portfolio and then navigate to the Workload tab.
User lists are populated by anyone who has work assigned to them in the projects in the portfolio.
Create a team portfolio to see your team’s work across projects. Create a portfolio across teams to see important projects you own that are shared by multiple teams.
How to create a Portfolio
In order to use Workload you must have a current Portfolio or create a new Portfolio.
To create a Portfolio:
- Click on Portfolios on the top left of the sidebar
- Click on the New Portfolio tile
- Name the Portfolio
- Click Create Portfolio
Capacity is based on task count & task duration. When you click into a Workload View from your Portfolio, see a capacity trendline across people in high level view.
- Any task in your project that has a due date or date range added will automatically show up on your Workload View.
- Tasks must be assigned to be accounted for in the capacity trendline, otherwise they will appear at the bottom of your Workload View in the “Unassigned Tasks” section.
- You can assign tasks by dragging and dropping them to an assignee, or opening the task menu and assigning the tasks.
Use tasks for work you want accounted for in Workload View, as subtasks are not visible in the view.
Use Start Dates on tasks to account for tasks that take more than one day to complete.
Set custom fields based on priority to get a sense of task weight. You can select custom field colors in the toggle.
Create Custom Fields and colors in your project view. Then, when you set a custom field value on tasks, that color can be viewed in your Workload View.
Our product team is currently hard at work building custom effort features into Workload. Available in Beta in a couple of months, this will let you choose the best method for measuring capacity on your team, whether it’s based on hours or points. If you’re interested in early access, sign your team up here and we’ll be in touch soon with next steps. Note that your team must be on Business or Enterprise plans, or on a Business Trial.
Hover on an individual’s chart to see a count of their tasks on a given day.
Hover on a specific day column header to view multiple team member’s total tasks on a given day. Hover on a person’s name to see their total task counts over time.
Drill down view
Click on the caret to show projects and tasks per person in drill down view.
- You can open the project status modal by clicking the project name.
Workload will only show the first 5,000 tasks in a portfolio.
Drag and drop tasks
Drag and drop tasks to reschedule the time, or reassign to another person.
- You cannot move a task to a different project.
- When you reassign tasks, the schedule is locked to reduce errors. After reassigning, you can then drag the task to reschedule.
- You can create tasks in Workload View by clicking directly on your Workload under the assignee, date, and project that you’d like to schedule the task and type in the name of your task. You can then click into the task’s details to add additional information.
Multi-select bulk rescheduling: Press the Command/Control key, and click on all the tasks you want to reschedule and/or reassign while pressing the Command/Control key.
Filter your Workload view by role and person.
- You can search for and select people you want to see in your Workload View.
- You can also search by “Role.”
Encourage your team to add their roles to their profiles in Asana.
You can also save a Filtered view as the Default view for everyone.
- Select people for your filter
- Click Apply filter
- Click the drop-down arrow
From the drop-down menu select save layout as default.
To zoom in or out, click on the “Zoom” button to select between Days, Weeks, Months, Quarters, Half-Years, or Years.
- Click on “Today” to quickly come back to present day.
Use zoom to adjust your view based on your work planning and monitoring time frame.