How much does Asana cost?
Asana is free to use for up to 15 people. If you want premium features in a Workspace or Team, or you want to gain Administrator capabilities in your Organization along with increased Member limits, you have the option to upgrade. Pricing for upgrades can be found on our pricing page.
How do I purchase?
We offer the option to upgrade an Organization, Team, or Workspace you belong to. “Accounts” are free and tied to individuals (your name, email addresseses, photo). Your first step is to create an account for yourself, then create or join an Organization for your company or a Workspace if you don’t qualify for an Organization. If you want to be the Billing Owner for your company, you would then upgrade your shared Organization, Team, or Workspace.
Find instructions for upgrading via the following links and check out our pricing page, too.
- Upgrade your company’s shared Organization
- Upgrade a shared Team in your company’s Organization
- Upgrade your shared Workspace
Should I upgrade my Organization or my Team?
Upgrade just one Team if you don’t need Administrators or premium features for all Teams, but want to add more Organization Guests to that Team, want per-project permissions in that Team, or the option to hide that Team from other Organization Members.
Team upgrades are usually only the best option for Teams in large companies. If you’re a smaller company you should usually purchase the Organization.
Premium Teams in Free Organizations offer:
- Premium Project Permissions within Teams - Share private projects with a smaller group inside your Team.
- Private Teams within Organizations - Working on confidential material? Premium Team Members have the option to hide their Team name from the Team Browser.
- Unlimited Organization Guests - Add as many clients, vendors, contractors and other people from outside your company as you need, for free.
- Priority Support - Premium plans get a dedicated Account Manager to help them use Asana, and jump to the front of the line for support.
In premium Organizations:
- Any Team created in the Organization will be a premium Team.
- An Administrator interface offers easy employee (and Guest) management.
- All Teams have premium project permissions.
- All Teams can be made public to the Organization, completely hidden, or membership by request.
- Organization Guests are unlimited across the Organization.
- Administrators can take regular exports of all their Organization’s data in Asana.
Administrator Benefits (premium Organizations only):
- Change your Organization’s name
- Central deprovisioning of Organization Members
- Force Authentication via Google Accounts
- Add/remove Administrator status for Organization Members
- Centralized Billing for all Teams - just pay in one place
- See Last Activity of Organization Members
- See a list of all Guests in the Organization
Anyone with a company email address who signs up for Asana will automatically be added to your Organization and you’ll need to pay for them in a premium Organization.
Should I use a Workspace or an Organization?
If you qualify to use an Organization, you should. Learn how to create an Organization.
From your individual Asana account, you can create or join as many Organizations or Workspaces as make sense for you. You navigate between these via My Overview.
Use an Organization for your company’s projects if you have a company email address associated with a unique domain on your account. For example, if you’re using Asana at your work, Acme Co., you would create an acmeco.com Organization. Be sure to add your work email to your individual Asana account.
Use a Workspace if you are using Asana for personal goals and tasks, or for work if your company does not have a unique email domain (often the case for those working at a university).
Use both if you’re working in Asana at your company and you want to use Asana for outside interests, too.
Can I access a free trial?
We do not offer free trials for premium Organizations, Teams, or Workspaces. You can use Asana for free. If you want additional features, you can choose to upgrade your Organization, Team, or Workspace to premium. You can upgrade to a monthly plan and downgrade at any time (so feel free to pay for one month to try it out, then downgrade). You can learn about premium features in the Asana Guide.
What kind of permissions are available in the premium version of Asana?
You can learn about permission options in Asana here. Basically, if someone can see something, they can edit it, but you have the option to keep things private. The only additional option you’ll see in a premium Organization, Team, or Workspace will be the ability to set a project private to a small group of Members (as opposed to an individual).
Are there storage limits?
No. Create as many tasks and projects and upload as many files as you need. They do not expire. Note that there is a 100MB limit per file uploaded directly to Asana, but you can always upload via Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box.
What additional security features do you offer for premium?
Can we have a demo before we upgrade?
We do not currently offer product demos for each team looking to upgrade, but we work hard on educational materials for your review and will continue to expand on them in the future. These links to the Asana Guide will get you started:
Getting Started (contains a short video as well as a link to a 30 minute long video series that many customers have cited as the key to a quick start)
Do More (discusses using Asana for meetings, how to get your team on board, etc.)
Workflow in Asana (a common Asana use case)
Organizations (learning all about Organizations is a great starting point)
You may also consider Grovo, an outside, unofficial resource.
How do I find our past invoices?
If you are the Billing Owner for your premium Organization, Workspace, or Team you will receive invoices from Asana via email. A link to all past invoices is included at the bottom of every emailed invoice.
To access your past invoices:
- Locate and open any Asana invoice email
- Click Billing Account Details
Why am I being charged sales tax on my Asana subscription?
In accordance with sales tax regulations, Asana is legally required to collect state and local tax on subscription fees for customers in certain locations. Whether or not tax is due depends upon the buyer’s location. The actual tax rate is determined by the applicable state and/or local tax rates and may vary based on your location.
As of May 2016, state and local sales tax will be applied to fees charged to customers with a billing address in the State of New York.
Does Asana offer tax exemptions?
If you are a non-profit or educational institution based in the U.S. and have tax exempt status, please contact Asana Customer Support and attach a copy of your tax exempt form.
Where can I see how much sales tax I am being charged?
Sales tax applied to your subscription fee will be listed as a separate line item on your invoice. Your invoice can be accessed via your account page.
What’s your cancellation policy?
A billing owner can downgrade a premium Organization, Team, or Workspace at any time: