- Skip Ahead to
- Create a Portfolio
- Portfolio View
- Project Overview
- Status Updates
- View Options & Milestones
- Export to Google Sheets
- Export to CSV
- Portfolio Membership & Sharing
- Portfolio Timeline
- Portfolio Search
- Privacy settings
- Portfolios FAQ
Portfolios provide a holistic view of all your important projects in one place. You can organize your most important projects monitor their health in real-time, and drill in for more information, and keep your team updated on progress. You can also access Portfolios on Android & iOS devices.
You can also access Workload through Portfolios - Click Portfolios in the sidebar, select a Portfolio and then navigate to the Workload tab.
Create a Portfolio
To create a Portfolio:
- Click on Portfolios on the top left of the sidebar
- Click on the New Portfolio tile
- Name the Portfolio
- Click Create Portfolio
When you click on one of your Portfolios, you will be able to see a holistic view of all projects contained within.
From the Portfolio view, you can:
- Add another project to the Portfolio
- View the latest status of each project
- View the progress % of each project
- View or edit a project’s due date or date range
- View or edit a project’s priority
- View the custom field values for each project
- View the project owner
You can remove a project from your Portfolio at any time.
To remove a project from a Portfolio:
- Click on the three dot icon that appears next to the project owner
- Click Remove from Portfolio
Click on any project in your Portfolio to view the project’s overview.
From the project overview, you can:
- Select a project owner
- Add or edit a due date or date range
- Access the project directly to view its tasks, resources and timeline
- Add or edit a project’s priority
- View the latest status of a project or update the project’s status yourself
If a project’s status has yet to be updated, you can click on the project in your Portfolio and request an update from the project owner or compose a status update yourself.
You can also comment on an existing status directly from the project overview.
View Options & Milestones
If there is a specific way you and your team prefer to sort Portfolios, you can save it as the default view for everyone.
To change your Portfolio view:
- Click on the slider icon on the upper right of your screen
- Choose either Tasks or Milestones as the progress type displayed
- Select to view your Portfolio by Status, Project Owner, Due Date, or Alphabetical
Milestones in Portfolio View
A maximum of 12 Milestones can be displayed in your Portfolio view, before the list becomes truncated.
You can also view each project’s Milestones in the project overview by clicking on any project in a Portfolio.
From a project overview in a Portfolio, you can:
- Click the + icon to add a new Milestone
- View the project’s completed & incomplete Milestones
You can also add custom fields directly from the drop down and then sort your Portfolio by your chosen field.
Export your Portfolio to Google Sheets
Once you’ve created a Portfolio, you can export it to Google Sheets at any time.
To export a Portfolio to Google Sheets:
- Tap the three dot icon next to the Portfolio title
- Hover over Export and select Google Sheets
Export your Portfolio to CSV
You can also export your Portfolio to CSV. Custom fields are also included in the CSV export.
To export a Portfolio to CSV:
- Tap the three dot icon next to the Portfolio title
- Hover over Export and select CSV
Portfolio Membership & Sharing
You can share Portfolios at any time with your teammates in Asana or add them as Portfolio Members.
When you click the Share button and access the Portfolio Membership screen, you can:
- Copy the Portfolio link and share with colleagues
- Add Portfolio Members
- Set a Member as the Portfolio Owner or remove them from the Portfolio
When you have been added as a Member of a Portfolio, you will receive an inbox notification. You will also see a “New” icon next to the Portfolio in question when accessing your Portfolios page.
If you share a Portfolio containing some private projects, the person you’ve shared it with will see the above notification at the bottom of the screen.
Portfolio Timeline allows you to visualize, share, and adjust how initiatives are sequenced so you can best utilize your resources and hit your deadlines.
Accessing your Portfolio Timeline
To access your Portfolio Timeline, first click on the Portfolios tab and choose your desired Portfolio.
Then click on the Timeline tab to view your Portfolio Timeline.
Portfolio Timeline Toolbar
From your Portfolio Toolbar, you can:
- Filter projects by day
- Filter your view by Days, Weeks, Months, Quarters, Half-year or Years
- Set Color or choose Custom Fields with Color
Please note that we’re gradually rolling out this feature.
Using Basic Search
To run a basic search, type the name of your Portfolio in the search bar.
Using Advanced Search
This can be done easily from your Homepage.
From your Homepage:
- Click on Search
- The click Advanced Search
From here, fill out your search perameters and click Add Filter then More then In Portfolios to search within your Portfolios.
You can also search for a Portfolio by @mentioning the Portfolio in any description or comment field in Asana. Please note that if the Portfolio is private, you must have access to the Portfolio in order for it to appear in your search results.
The Portfolio Owner has the option to make your Portfolio private or public.
Making the Portfolio private, will mean that only Portfolio Members will have access to the content within the Portfolio and it won’t be discoverable across your Organization or Workspace. Making the Portfolio public will mean it will be discoverable across your Organization or Workspace.
To toggle between public and private Portfolio settings:
From within your Portfolio:
- Click on the Share icon
From here choose to keep the Portfolio private or make it public to your Organization or Workspace.