Managing a team
Teams are subsets of people in your Organization that collaborate on projects with each other. Each Team has its own members and projectsprojects Projects are lists of tasks. Read more . Those who don’t have access to all projects within your team will appear as Limited Access Members in your Team Settings Members tab.
Limited Access Members can see projects and tasks they’ve been added to, but not conversations or other projects in the team.
To access team members:
- Click on the 3 dot icon that appears across from your Team name
- Click Edit Team Settings
Navigate to the Members tab, and you’ll see a list of full team members and those with limited access. If you’re a full team member you can grant full team access to Limited Access Members in this list.
Click See all members from the 3 dot icon to get to Team Settings
Adding someone as a task follower or assignee in a project within a team, will not add them to that team’s Members list. They will need to be added as a project member.
As a team member, you can:
- Access all public projects in your team
- Adjust the team’s permission setting
- Invite members to your team
- Remove members from your team
- Rename your Team
- See all team ConversationsConversations Conversations are how users communicate in Asana. Start a conversation on any project or team page. Read more
- Access the Team Calendar
Approve requests to join the team
When somebody requests to join a team, the request must be approved in order for the person to become a member.
To Approve Team membership requests:
- Click Review & Approve
Team members will also receive a notification at the top of their screen, indicating that there is a new team member awaiting approval.
From the member requests screen, you can select Approve or Deny next to any person’s name.
Public teams do not require approvals.
Membership request notifications
By default, all current team members will receive an email notification for requests to join the team and any member can click through to approve, but you can limit these email notifications to a specific set of members.
All team members can still approve requests to join the team even if you limit who receives these notifications.
Limit membership request notifications
- Access the Team SettingsTeam Settings team settings are adjustments that only affect a team, not an entire Organization. Read more
- Navigate to the Advanced tab
- Click the Only select members are notified to approve new members radial button
- Enter the member’s name(s) you want to be notified for new membership requests
Membership request notification settings are only available to teams that are set to Membership by Request.
Invite someone to a team
Invite someone to a team in your Organization to give them access to the team’s projects.
You can invite someone to your team by clicking the Invite button in the team page’s headerheader The header is part of the user interface between the top bar and the main pane and lets users navigate projects. Read more
From there, enter the person’s name or email address to invite them into the team.
You can also invite someone to a team by clicking the + icon next to the team title in the sidebar or using the Omnibutton.
Remove someone from a team
Remove someone from your team if you no longer want them to access the team’s projects and Team ConversationsTeam Conversations You can start a team Conversation to make an announcement, discuss multiple projects, or share team-related information. Read more .
Learn how to remove someone from your Organization entirely in this article.
To remove someone from a team:
- Navigate to the Members tab in Team Settings
- Hover over the person’s name and select the Remove button that appears