Asana’s interface is divided into 5 areas:
- Sidebar - access Homepage, My Tasks, Inbox, Teams, and projects in your Workspace or Organization
- Header - contains the actions and views for the project, My Tasks, or View you’re currently using
- Top Bar - Search, Quick Add, your Profile Settings, and Workspace or Organization Settings
- Main Pane - displays a list of tasks, Conversations, Calendar, progress or Files
- Right Pane - contains the details of a task or Conversation
From the sidebar, you can:
The sidebar lists the projects in your Team or Workspace. Click any project’s name and it will load in the main pane. Or, click the + button to create a new project.
The lock icon indicates a private project.
Open up the project to reveal more actions in the project header.
Favorite projects, people (their My Tasks lists) or tags to save and bookmark them at the top of your sidebar for easier access.
Your favorited items will appear in a fixed position near the top of your sidebar.
Drag and drop to rearrange your favorited items.
Click the star icon in the header to add it to your favorites. Notice the star turns yellow and the project now appears at the top of your sidebar under favorites. To remove it from your favorites, simply click the star icon again.
Only you see what you’ve favorited. Everyone in your Workspace or Organization has their own favorites list.
How to unfavorite and duplicate a Project
Hover over a Project’s name and click the three dot icon to reveal 2 Project actions.
Unfavourite and Duplicate
- Click the three dot icon next to a Project in your sidebar
- You can remove Project from Favorites
- You can choose to Duplicate Project
Expand and collapse the sidebar
Collapse the sidebar if you you want more room in your browser window for the center and right panes.
To collapse the sidebar:
Click the three column button at the top of the sidebar.
To expand the sidebar:
Click the three column button.
From the top bar, you can:
- Run a searchsearch Search allows you to find any task, project, or Conversation in your Workspace or Organization. Read more to find tasks, projects, conversations, tags, or people in your Workspace or Organization
- Use Quick Add to create a task, project, conversation, or invite more people
- View Help Content
- Access your Profile SettingsProfile Settings Profile Settings lets users adjust preferences related to their specific account. Read more , Access the Workspace or Organization Settings, or switch between your Workspaces & Organizations
The Omni button allows you to easily:
- Create a tasktask Tasks are the basic unit of work in Asana. Tasks can represent any kind of work, break down work into smaller pieces, or store information. Read more
- Start a ConversationConversation Conversations are how users communicate in Asana. Start a conversation on any project or team page. Read more
- Create teamteam A team is a group of people in an Organization who are working together on a collection of projects. Read more
- Create a projectproject Projects are lists of tasks. Read more
- Invite someone new into your current Workspace or Organization
Click the ? button to access helpful resources.
Top Bar Drop down
Click your profile photo from the top bar to reveal a drop down menu.
From the top bar drop down menu, you can:
- Switch between your Workspaces and Organizations
- Upgrade your current Workspace or Organization
- Access your current Workspace or Organization’s Settings
- Create a new Workspace or team
- Leave your current Workspace or Organization
- Access your Profile SettingsProfile Settings Profile Settings lets users adjust preferences related to their specific account. Read more
- Log out of your account
The checkmark indicates the Workspace or Organization you’re currently viewing.
From the header, you can:
- Access actions for the project, My Tasks, or Search View you’re currently viewing (indicated by the down arrow icon)
- Favorite the project or My Tasks list you’re currently viewing (indicated by the star icon)
- Set a status for your project
- View a list of Project Members and Limited Access Members
- Share your project
Click the down arrow icon to access the following options for a project:
- Edit project details - modify the name or description of your project
- Color - changes the colorcolor Users can associate a project or tag with a color. Read more of the project
- Copy Project URL
- Save layout as default
- Duplicate Project
- Convert to template if in a paid team or Organization
- Manage apps - from here you can add apps and access Jira Cloud
- Import CSV files, Email and connect Wuffoo to Project /Export your project or My Tasks or Print your project
- Move to Another Team (only available in Organizations) - move the project to another TeamTeam A team is a group of people in an Organization who are working together on a collection of projects. Read more in your Organization
- Archive or Delete your project
Open up the project to reveal more actions in the project header.
Learn more about all of these actions in the Project ActionsProject Actions Project actions allow you to take action on a project such as print, archive, or delete. Read more article of the Guide.
The header allows you to switch between seven different views:
- List - this is the default View and displays a list of tasks
- Board - Board view organizes your tasks within columns
- Timeline - if in a paid team or Organization.
- Calendar - this View filters only tasks with due datesdue dates The date that a task or subtask is due. Read more and displays them in a calendar format
- Progress - this view offers you a status update; what’s done, what’s next, what’s blocked plus insights into task activity
- Forms - here you can collect the info your team needs with Forms
- More - Offers Conversations - allowing you to start conversationsconversations Conversations are how users communicate in Asana. Start a conversation on any project or team page. Read more with fellow project membersproject members Someone that has access to and receives notifications about a project. Read more regarding the project and Files (only available in My Tasks & projects) - here you will see all attachments to Tasks & conversations within the Project
When you select a project, tag, or person from the sidebar, you’ll see the relevant list of tasks in the main pane. This is also where you see search results, Inbox notifications, Dashboard project cards, and Conversation posts.
From the main pane, you can:
- Add a new task
- SortSort Lets you sort and view tasks in My Tasks or a project task list by different criteria like due dates, tags, or hearts. Read more and filter the list
- Mark a task completecomplete To mark a task with a checkmark to indicate that it is done. Read more or incomplete
- View and edit a task’s name
- See the amount of likes a task has received
- Identify a task’s due datedue date The date that a task or subtask is due. Read more
- Identify any custom fields associated with the task
- Identify a task’s assigneeassignee The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more
The right pane, is where you see the details for a task you’ve selected in the main pane.
From the top of the right pane, you can:
- Mark the task completecomplete To mark a task with a checkmark to indicate that it is done. Read more or incomplete
- Upload attachmentsattachments A file that is attached to a task or conversation. Read more
- Build a list of subtaskssubtasks Subtasks break a task into smaller pieces. Subtasks, like tasks, have assignees, due dates, comments, and hearts. Read more
- Copy the task url
- like the task
- Access additional task options
From the right pane, you can also:
- Edit the task’s name
- AssignAssign The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more the task
- Set a due datedue date The date that a task or subtask is due. Read more & due time
- Identify what project the task is in
- Add a description to give the task more context
- Post a commentcomment Comment on a task or conversation to offer help, answer questions, and help move work forward. Read more
- FollowFollow Add followers to any task and they will receive notifications about updates to the task. Read more or unfollow the task
Learn more about the functionality available in the right pane in the taskstasks Tasks are the basic unit of work in Asana. Tasks can represent any kind of work, break down work into smaller pieces, or store information. Read more section of the Guide.
Expand and collapse the right pane
Collapse the right pane if you want more room in your browser window for the center pane.
Click the arrow to collapse the right pane.
To expand the right pane, simply click anywhere on the task.
Full Screen Mode
Enter full screen mode if you’d like to focus on a single task or presenting in a meeting.
To enter full screen mode:
- Click the three dot icon from the right pane
- Select Full Screen
You can also press Tab+X on your keyboard to enter full screen mode.