Inbox is your notification center for Asana. Your Inbox displays updates on all projectsprojects Projects are lists of tasks. Read more you’re a member of and taskstasks Tasks are the basic unit of work in Asana. Tasks can represent any kind of work, break down work into smaller pieces, or store information. Read more that you followfollow Add followers to any task and they will receive notifications about updates to the task. Read more or are assignedassigned The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more within a given Workspace or Organization.
If you visit Asana regularly and don’t want to receive email notifications, you can turn them off and check the updates in tasks and projects using Inbox.
To access Inbox:
Click Inbox from the sidebar. The notifications for the Organization or Workspace you are currently viewing will then appear in the main panemain pane When you select a project, tag, or person, you will see the relevant list of tasks in the main pane. Read more .
An orange dot will appear next to Inbox in the top bar when there are unread notifications.
You’ll also notice a black dot next to the Asana logo in your browser’s tab.
Working in Inbox
There are two tabs in Inbox: Activity and Archive.
You’ll see an Inbox notification when:
- A task is assignedassigned The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more to you
- A task is unassigned to you
- A task assigned to you is approaching its due date
- A task assigned to you has past its due date
- A task assigned to you has its due datedue date The date that a task or subtask is due. Read more changed
- A task you are following has new attachmentsattachments A file that is attached to a task or conversation. Read more uploaded to it
- A task you are following has new commentscomments Comment on a task or conversation to offer help, answer questions, and help move work forward. Read more posted to it
- A task you are following is marked completecomplete To mark a task with a checkmark to indicate that it is done. Read more
- A task you are following receives a Like
- A task you are following is merged with another task
- You have been added as a Follower to a task
- Your commentcomment Comment on a task or conversation to offer help, answer questions, and help move work forward. Read more receives a Like
- Your attachmentattachment A file that is attached to a task or conversation. Read more receives a Like
- Your task completion receives a Like
- You’re @ mentioned in the task description
- A ConversationConversation Conversations are how users communicate in Asana. Start a conversation on any project or team page. Read more is started in a Team you’re a member of
- A comment is posted in a Team or project Conversation you’re following
- A project you are a member of has new tasks added to it
- A ConversationConversation Conversations are how users communicate in Asana. Start a conversation on any project or team page. Read more is started in a project you’re a Member of
- The statusstatus A way to update project members on the progress of a project. Status includes a color (red, yellow, green) and short summary. Read more of a project you’re a member of has been updated
- The status of a task you’ve been waiting on has been changed
Inbox will only display notifications for actions and changes performed by others. You will not see Inbox stories about actions that you perform yourself.
After you’ve read or taken action on a notification in the Inbox tab, you can archive it.
Archive Inbox notifications:
Hover over the Inbox notification and click Archive. Once a notification has been archived, it will be sent to the Archive tab.
If you want to clear your Inbox, you can archive all of your stories at once. The archived Inbox will clear itself after 4 weeks.
Archive all Inbox notifications:
- Click on the three dot icon
- Click Archive all
This tab is where you can find any Inbox stories that you’ve archived in the past.
If there are any older stories you want to preserve you can send them back to the activity tab.
Send archived notification back to Inbox:
Hover over the Inbox notification and click Move to Inbox. The notification will then reappear in the activity tab.
The right pane in Inbox
You can take action on tasks from either tab of your Inbox.
Click a notification to load its details in the right paneright pane The right pane holds the details of a task or Conversation. Read more .
If you want to see the task in the context of a project it belongs to, click the project name and the project will load in the main panemain pane When you select a project, tag, or person, you will see the relevant list of tasks in the main pane. Read more .
Using your Inbox toolbar, you can filter the type of notifications you receive.
You can filter notifications by:
- Assigned to me
- Assigned by me
Access your Email notification settings
You can easily access your Email notification settings from your Inbox.
Click the three dot icon and select Email notifications.