Inbox is your notification center for Asana. Your Inbox displays updates on all projectsprojects Projects are lists of tasks. Read more you’re a member of and taskstasks Tasks are the basic unit of work in Asana. Tasks can represent any kind of work, break down work into smaller pieces, or store information. Read more that you collaborate on or are assignedassigned The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more within a given Workspace or Organization.
If you visit Asana regularly and don’t want to receive email notifications, you can turn them off and check the updates in tasks and projects using Inbox.
To access Inbox:
Click Inbox from the sidebar. The notifications for your Organization or Workspace will appear in the left pane. The most recent will be in view first. Inbox activity will appear on the right pane when you click into your notification.
Left pane actions:
When you click on your notification from the left pane, you have the option to: create a follow up task, mark notifications as read/unread and archive notifications by hovering over the symbols that correspond to the action.
You can compress inbox threads or expand for greater scanability.
If you want to read an inbox message later, you can mark it as unread. You can also mark messages as read without opening them.
An orange dot will appear next to Inbox in the top bar when there are unread notifications.
New notifications in your Inbox will have a blue dot next to them. If there’s new activity in a task within a project you will see a bubble.
You’ll also notice a black dot next to the Asana logo in your browser’s tab.
Blue dot denotes new notifications.
Notifications with new comments or attachments will have a bubble showing the number of new comments or attachments.
Blue bubble denotes new unread activity.
Working in Inbox
There are two tabs in Inbox: Activity and Archive.
You’ll see an Inbox notification when:
- A task is assignedassigned The person responsible for the task or subtask. Asana allows one assignee per task or subtask. Read more to you
- A task is unassigned to you
- A task assigned to you is approaching its due date
- A task assigned to you has past its due date
- A task assigned to you has its due datedue date The date that a task or subtask is due. Read more changed
- A task you are collaborating on has new attachmentsattachments A file that is attached to a task or conversation. Read more uploaded to it
- A task you are collaborating on has new commentscomments Comment on a task or conversation to offer help, answer questions, and help move work forward. Read more posted to it
- A task you are collaborating on is marked completecomplete To mark a task with a checkmark to indicate that it is done. Read more
- A task you created or are assigned to receives a Like
- A task you are collaborating on is merged with another task
- You have been added as a Collaborator to a task
- Your commentcomment Comment on a task or conversation to offer help, answer questions, and help move work forward. Read more receives a Like
- Your attachmentattachment A file that is attached to a task or conversation. Read more receives a Like
- Your task completion receives a Like
- You’re @ mentioned in the task description
- A ConversationConversation Conversations are how users communicate in Asana. Start a conversation on any project or team page. Read more is created in a team you’re a member of
- A comment is posted in a team or project Conversation you’re collaborating on
- A project you are a member of has new tasks added to it
- A ConversationConversation Conversations are how users communicate in Asana. Start a conversation on any project or team page. Read more is started in a project you’re a Member of
- The statusstatus A way to update project members on the progress of a project. Status includes a color (red, yellow, green) and short summary. Read more of a project you’re a member of has been updated
- The status of a task you’ve been waiting on has been changed
Inbox will only display notifications for actions and changes performed by others. You will not see Inbox stories about actions that you perform yourself.
After you’ve read or taken action on a notification in the Inbox tab, you can archive it.
Archive Inbox notifications:
Hover over the Inbox notification symbol and click Archive notitification. Once a notification has been archived, it will be sent to the Archive tab.
If you want to clear your Inbox, you can archive all of your stories at once. The archived Inbox will clear itself after 4 weeks.
Archive all Inbox notifications:
- Click on the three dot icon
- Click Archive all
You can also navigate to the bottom of your inbox and click Archive all Messages
This tab is where you can find any Inbox stories that you’ve archived in the past.
If there are any older stories you want to preserve you can send them back to the activity tab.
Send archived notification back to Inbox:
Hover over the Inbox notification and click Move to Inbox. The notification will then reappear in the activity tab.
Archiving notifications from your Inbox
You can archive all notifications you read and keep your inbox clean for the new notifications you will receive.
If you’re receiving multiple notifications within an hour of each other, Asana will batch them for you and send in one single email.
Critical notifications like task assignments and tasks comments will always be sent individually, but updates around new tasks created or completed will be batched.
Task comments and task assignments are never batched.
The 30 second threshold for receiving email notifications only applies for critical notifications. For less important notifications, the wait period is 60 minutes.
The right pane in Inbox
You can take action on tasks from either tab of your Inbox.
The right paneright pane The right pane holds the details of a task or Conversation. Read more is always open so it is easy to see at a glance what has changed and the action required.
If you want to see the task in the context of a project it belongs to, click the project name and the project will load in the main panemain pane When you select a project, tag, or person, you will see the relevant list of tasks in the main pane. Read more .
You can view your Inbox in an expanded view or a condensed view. To see more preview content in the left pane, click the “Expand” button. To see less preview content in the left pane, deselect the Expand button.
Using your Inbox toolbar, you can filter the type of notifications you receive.
You can filter notifications by:
- Assigned to me
- Assigned by me
Access your Email notification settings
You can easily access your Email notification settings from your Inbox.
Click the three dot icon and select Manage notifications.