Power BI Integration
- Skip Ahead to
- Requirements for Installation
- How to Connect
- Key Features
- User Cases
- Sample Dashboard
Power BI integration offers Asana users in a Business or Enterprise tier team the ability to report on key Asana data from within Power BI.
The Asana Power BI Connector enables Power BI to connect directly to Asana to retrieve data about your Tasks contained in a specified Project, Team or Portfolio.
Asana users should ensure the following is fully completed before synching data with Power BI:
- Standard Task details (Title, Assignee, due data, etc)
- Custom Fields on Tasks
- Parent Project data
- Tags (stored as a list object on each Task row)
Subtasks are not supported, unless they are multi-homed as a top-level Task in another Project in the specified Team or Portfolio
All of this can be shared with other Power BI Asana users within the organization.
Requirements for Installation
The user should have access to Asana and Power BI Desktop or Power BI Online.
Power BI requirements:
- Access to BI Desktop (Windows only) for full customization, dashboard creation and publishing
- Access to Power BI Service (Online) to view data with template or published dashboards
If synching data from a team, the team needs to be on a Business or Enterprise tier in Asana
How to Connect
How to connect from Power BI Desktop:
- Open Power BI Desktop
- Click Get Data and choose Asana from Online Services
- Click Connect
- You’ll be prompted to enter a link, choose a valid Portfolio, Team or Project link
- Click OK
- You may be prompted to sign in to Asana and grant permission to Power BI to retrieve your data. Please sign in with a user that has access to your data
How to create a dashboard from Tasks:
- Click the checkbox for Tasks then click Load
- You may choose to transform the retrieved data before using it to build a dashboard.
- Your Task data should now be syncing with Power BI. This can take anywhere from a few seconds to 10 minutes, depending on the size of the Team or Portfolio you specified
- Once the data is loaded, you’ll be able to start creating a dashboard using the available fields on the right.
You can choose to expand the custom field data and pivot the custom field values so that they show up as individual columns in your dataset
The Asana Power BI Connector enables Power BI to connect directly to Asana to retrieve data about your Tasks then bring that data to life.
Power BI can:
- Analyse task load to ensure teams are on track and meet their KPI’s
- Connect disparate data sets and transform into a data model
- Create charts or graphs to provide visuals of Asana data
- Answer questions in real time through Power BI bespoke reporting that can aid forecasting
Power BI amplifies your business insights and the value of your Asana data. From Power BI visuals to embedded analytics your team will gain insights, see opportunities and gain a competitive advantage. It gives much more of a complete picture.
For example If a Project Manager wants to add Asana data to internal BI reporting, they can add Asana as a data source to Power BI, to build reports that are more up to date and actually tell a story.
When asked to deliver key insights about a team using Asana, a team lead can filter and group data in Power BI, to build reports more tailored to the business that spots trends and make data-driven decisions.
How Asana Power BI connector gives perspective to teams:
It can give teams an overview of the business in one dashboard that allows for cross functional collaboration and ultimately better informed business decisions.
User’s can build custom, actionable dashboards based on Asana inputs like Custom Fields to get real-time insights into projects and workflows.
A Portfolio Lead who currently uses a simple spreadsheet to keep track of projects, could use the Power BI Asana connector for a more bespoke, visual tracking system of projects.
A Project Manager, can access task custom field data to build reports specific to company’s needs, using reusable data models moving forward that provides consistency across reporting.
It's possible to track and analyze progress against team goals to identify project efficiencies and bottlenecks. It eliminates roadblocks and gives insight fast.
Create Shareable Reports
Users can also layer Asana data with insights from other mission-critical business tools to share a complete snapshot of team performance.
An EMEA Maketing lead might add Asana as a data source to Power BI on the web to build reports that are up to date, transparent, comprehensive and shareable in seconds.
You’ll need a Power BI license to view all reports. To build custom measures, you’ll need to use Power BI Desktop. Enter the URL to the Asana team or Portfolio you would like to analyze
This example shows how work management data from Asana can provide insight to how your team is working.
Use the Asana for PowerBI Integration to access Asana including Tasks, custom fields, tags, Projects and more.
Combine Asana data with other datasets to take a holistic approach to your business
The Asana for Powerbi integration supports:
- Projects with less than 10k tasks