Asana for Jira
Install the Asana for Jira integration to create transparency between business and technical teams and build interactive, connected workflows.
The Asana for Jira integration allows business and product teams that plan work in Asana to collaborate and work seamlessly with engineering and technical teams who execute work in Jira.
Drive visibility and transparency across Asana and Jira Cloud
- Instead of wasting time with status update meetings and manually updating two different tools, simply connect Asana and Jira to create transparency between business and technical teams.
- Increase visibility into the product development process and reduce unnecessary time wasted on back and forth communication.
- Create interactive, connected workflows between both teams.
- Realize the value and ROI of Jira faster with Asana.
Connect technical and business teams
- Coordinate work across teams to ensure a transparent workflow.
- Ensure a seamless tracking system that works cross-functionally.
Requirements for installation
You must have a Jira Cloud account to install the Asana for Jira integration.
If you use Jira Server, use the Asana Jira Server integration
- Go to the URL that you use to log in to your Jira account
- If your URL has this structure: "<your organization name>.atlassian.net", then you're using Jira Cloud, and you’re eligible to use the Asana for Jira integration
- If your URL does not have this structure: "<your organization name>.atlassian.net", then you're using Jira server and are not eligible to use the Asana for Jira integration
You can find further information on the Atlassian Community page here.
Via the Customize menu
- Navigate to a project where you would like to install the Asana for Jira integration
- Click on the Customize Menu drop-down in the right hand corner
- Select Add apps
- Select Jira Cloud
- You'll be prompted by a full screen installation wizard
- Authorize your Jira account
- The Jira integration will be installed at project level. Therefore, in the next screen you will be able to select which specific projects to add the integration to
- You will now be able to use the Jira integration in any of the projects within which it has been added to.
Via the Asana Apps Gallery
- Go to the Asana Apps Gallery
- Find the Jira Cloud for Asana integration
- Click on Install Jira Cloud for Asana
- You will be prompted by a full screen installation wizard
- At the second step of the wizard, you will be asked to authorize your Jira account
- The Jira integration will be installed at a project level, so in the next screen you will be able to select what projects you add the integration to
- You can now go to one of the projects where you installed the Jira integration and start using it
- Install the Jira application on Asana, then seamlessly link it to as many Asana projects as needed.
- From a task in Asana, users can create a new Jira Issue directly in Asana, or easily link to an existing Jira issue. We support all Jira Software issue types, including: Bug, Epic, Subtask, Story and Task.
- When you create a new Jira issue or link to an existing Jira issue from Asana, we push the following from Asana into Jira: Task name, Description and Attachments.
- To save steps and optimize your workflow, you can automate the creation of Jira issues via our Rules feature. Learn how.
From the Add rule pop up:
- Under Jira Cloud click Create new issue
- Fill out all the fields in the Create new issue box
- Click on Create rule to automate Jira issues
- You can see the real time status of the work happening in Jira from Asana. A real-time Jira widget is available providing you with the Status, Priority, and Assignee of the Jira Issue so everyone is on track.
If you want to see more about the Jira issue, simply click the Jira widget to be routed to Jira to get a more complete overview.
For a list of common questions on the Asana for Jira integration, please see our Jira FAQ help guide.